Converting a MicroStation DTM to a Surface File in Civil 3D

barefootbob

I have a project that all our information has been put into MStation. The .tin, .prj, etc and need to create a Triangled Surface in Civil 3D. The main problem is not finding the .tin in Civil but its also asking me for a .pnt file. Is there a way around this or a simpler way to create a DEM model in Cilvil 3D? Thanks in Advance.

I am working with V8i and Civil 3D 2011

- Bob

Bob,

If it is just the surface you want...you could simply import the contour lines from MStation and then 'add' the contours to a new surface in Civil.

Good luck,

Bill

Thank you - I only have a 2D contour file and am not sure how to incorporate the Tin file to add the Z elevation - Otherwise I am importing the contours as a 2D file into Civil 3D with missing metadata or the .pnt file

I am assuming you have a .tin file? What files do you have to work with? How was the .tin created and then how was it exported?

Did you try importing from a .tin from the surface menu? (right-click on SURFACE in Prospector and select IMPORT FROM A TIN)

Another thought would be to try to open the .tin file and use the .tin lines as non-destructive breaklines to establish your C3D surface.

I don't have a sample .tin to try it from, so I can't tell if this will work for you. Can you post something to work with?

Maybe displaying the triangles from the TIN and import that as a DGN file into C3D. You can then use the triangles to build your C3D surface.

Edit:

Never mind bill beat me to the punch. I will go back to my regularly scheduled headache.

Do you have the use of Inroads? If so there is the option of using Inroads in AutoCad and displaying the TIN in a DWG file. Then import them as bill suggested.

I have a client who uses InRoads, we use C3D, and we used to exchange DTMs by using export/import Land XML files. It worked fine for years. It preserved the TINs and break lines also.

If you have a TIN file in C3D you can create a DTM directly from the .tin file, just as Bill said. Otherwise it looks like yo are going to have to import the contours and elevate them, befor using them to create a DTM.

Thank you for all your help - I have tried most outlet (minus INRoads option) and still to no avial. I believe that the file size may be to large for my workstation. I even tried to take the information fro mthe .tin triagle file and export it use the Geographic Tools straight to a .kmz or .kml file for Google Earth. It is causing GE to lock up. I may need to break up the surfaces or try to create shape files and import those to Civil 3D.

I have all the info in my database if any of you would like the files (ie .tin, .prj, .dgn etc) - I could possible try to .zip and use dropbox. For now, yes as Calvin said, Back to my regularly scheduled headache. :)

- Thanks again for all your help, much appreciated with all the knowledge and assistance.

What is your PC's spec's? Is the .tin file super huge? Put the files in dropbox, provide a link and I will try to give it a shot.

Yeah, this XML file is 330 MB - I can even dropbox it. I am super frustrated and may just have to break this file down through Eagle Point / Exporting the LandXML.

Here is a link to the original .tin file:

http://www.mediafire.com/?s76tffdjcx7bcxo

I have also clipped that original .tin and and exportend an XML file much smaller here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?8s4m1h8r7flbzm0

Maybe one of you all can help with this info. Thank you all so much for your assistance. It just seems Civil 3D is having trouble importing these files no matter what kind of DTM option I have used in Microstation V8i.

Thank you all again, and good luck!! :)

barefootbob, depending what version of MicroStation you have you might have access to the new Data Acquisition tools. This will allow you to import and export multiple surface formats from many platform products.

exportlandxml.png

HTH,

Bob Mecham

exportlandxml.png

importtin.png

I would also recommend (as you already have stated you might) breaking the surface down to several manageable files. Then use Data Shortcuts to reference to other files.

I tried to import the small xml file you posted and it locked up Civil 3D on my beast of a PC. Check out my PC specs to the right (click on Computer Details) and you will see what I am using. I don't have time to play around with it due to a deadline.

I am running the same type of machine with 16G RAM - Either way this is what I have done....

I opened up a new dwg file in Civil 3D. Saved it (back to a 2007 version of ACAD) and opened that dwg IN Microstation V8i. In V8i...

I took the. tin file from the DTM mgr. (Geopak) and loaded independantly/created layers for the points, breaklines, and Hull, esentially creating three different levels/layers in the new .dwg file. This seems to be the biggest issue. But the solution = Create the blank .dwg in Civil FIRST.

sooo..

I Saved the file and reopend the .dwg in C3D. I then created a new surface. In that new surface I used "add objects" to the surface. Since the point files were in txt format I selected each txt elevation as points. Z elevation and using a 1' - 5' diff. (background)- THIS WORKED!! :) Then I repeated the process by adding the Hull as the boundary and the Braklines and breaklines (polyline/smartlines).

Very tedious and frustrating, nonetheless - but all your suggestions have helped imensely. I have now been able to create the DEM I need to work with Map 3D and Civil 3D as well. WHEW!! - You guys are the best. Thanks again for all you help.

Bob

Wow! You had your hands full there. Glad to see that you got it figured out. I have had to do similar dances in the past.

Cheers to human ingenuity.

:beer: