• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cadvision

• ScribbleJ

• tzframpton

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The first thing I don't like is the registration. First I had to provide details to download it, okay fair enough. However (and considering it is a free product) to then have to provide a license key into it, then wait for a further email to be sent containing a license file, then activate the license file etc it seems like a bit of a pointless process given it is free software. Your email system is also slow to send out the license key/license file emails.

Upon opening the program, it looks not bad. Many of the AutoCad commands I tried work the same and it seems good in that regards.

The below is after opening a fairly large file that has been done in AutoCad:

- I couldn't work out how to dock the properties palette on the right hand side of the screen.

- I don't like how polylines with a large number of points in them (i.e. contours on large sites) display when selected (the blue colour selection that follows the cursor on part of the selection).

- How do I turn off the selection box that pops up when I select one or more objects? I find it annoying (reminds me too much of 12d).

- The Arial font displays weirdly and is very jagged/not smooth (not sure if this is just a display issue though).

- I don't like how fonts with large text size only hold their outline of the shape when zooming in/out (doesn't occur in AutoCad)

- Is there a command similar to the viewres command in AutoCad? I have circles that are displaying as jagged.

- I got 'stuck' in the block editor I think and couldn't work out how to close/exit it. I then couldn't close the file or the program, had to end it via the task manager. When in the block editor, why can I still see all of the other objects in a drawing (not part of my block) or how do I change this?

- Excel tables that are OLE objects (from AutoCad). How well do these print? From the display on screen they appear a bit blurry.

- Performance is a bit slow for my liking.

- I found it hard to tell when a viewport was active or not. When switching between viewports the viewport boundaries had some display problems when scroll zooming, causing extensive lag. Couldn't fix it & had to end program via task manager.

- Line spacings in multitext aren't the same as those from AutoCad. This causes existing AutoCad mtext notes to overlap other parts of the drawing.

- Zooming in/out on layouts with multiple viewports causes noticeable lag.

It is not bad for a free program though and is probably better than the other clones I have tried.

Not sure what you meant by text in block stays horizantal. I made a block which contains text at 90 degrees and it stays 90 when inserted. I'm missing something?
Might stay in the original alignement then.

Ah yes. I have a dynamic block for track switches which has two attributes. Whenever I rotate it using rotation grips, the attributes stay horizontal and move in a way I don't understand yet. Using the 'ro' command the text stays in place.

check this out on Russian site cadstudio.ru, I just ran google translation. Love the graphic.

http://cadstudio.ru/news/nanocad-news/368-nanocad-35.html

The Dr House graphic is not approved byNanosoft....Still someone ath cadstudio.ru has a sense of humour

Ok so found out >> 03 is an Emergency Rescue phone number inRussia. When they launched nanoCAD 3.0 they used nanoCAD 03 instead of 3.0 and theofficial advert had slogan the same as on this photo.

“nanoCAD 03 is the Emergency Rescue for design engineers”.

Edited by cadvision

I was sent a PR statement about nanoCAD last night and was going to post it here but you guys have already done the job for me :)

My first reaction is, "is this the first viable free AutoCAD alternative?".

I note that some of you have small niggles with nanoCAD but I think that's not a big deal considering what it does offer. It looks to me as though it's based on the IntelliCAD platform and most clones like this tend to be a few years behind AutoCAD. I suspect things like dynamic input will be implemented in the future. The lack of LISP is probably the key omission and this seems strange considering their aim to attract developers. However, I am wondering what their business model is. My guess is that they are holding back on LISP so that it can be added to a future "pro" version of the product that we'll have to pay for.

However, I am wondering what their business model is. My guess is that they are holding back on LISP so that it can be added to a future "pro" version of the product that we'll have to pay for.

That concerns me also. Development costs money. My hesitation would be that while it is free now, it probably won't remain free.

I personally like it. I do have some minor complaints but I'm not even going to write them up because (1) they really are minor and (2) beings that this program is free with registration, there's no need to complain.

And Scribble, I couldn't find any Tool Palette-like functionality. I did an extensive search through the menus and even the help file and couldn't find anything. Can you give me a tip as to where this is? All I found was a "Block Manager" but it is in no way even close to the functionality of AutoCAD's Tool Palettes.

In all, I give this program a definite 2-thumbs up. Very nice indeed from a "first glance" perspective.

I personally like it. I do have some minor complaints but I'm not even going to write them up because (1) they really are minor and (2) beings that this program is free with registration, there's no need to complain.

And Scribble, I couldn't find any Tool Palette-like functionality. I did an extensive search through the menus and even the help file and couldn't find anything. Can you give me a tip as to where this is? All I found was a "Block Manager" but it is in no way even close to the functionality of AutoCAD's Tool Palettes.

In all, I give this program a definite 2-thumbs up. Very nice indeed from a "first glance" perspective.

I must have misunderstood what you meant. It has tools that are on palettes that can be moved around or docked but I didn't dig into it enough to see if you could customize them. Is that what you were asking?

It's not what I was asking, but it definitely answers my question.

Tool Palettes server a very specific purpose, and a good one at that. I live and die by Tool Palettes. This is the one thing I always hope to see in any free or low-cost CAD alternative.

:)

Are you referring to being able to create custom macros?

No, not macros.

I use Tool Palettes for multiple reasons. First off, it's a very nice way to organize a specific set of Blocks, Commands, and Tools in a centralized location with a large array of preset customization options per entity. Also, they can be networked through a Support Path so they can be shared among team members running CAD. The centralized location and quick access is what I like about Tool Palettes and why I feel they are one of the most important additions to AutoCAD in years.

8)

I installed it last night and opened it to see what it looked like. As most have said it looked a few versions back as compared to Acad. I only played a few minutes with it so no details yet.

No, not macros.

I use Tool Palettes for multiple reasons. First off, it's a very nice way to organize a specific set of Blocks, Commands, and Tools in a centralized location with a large array of preset customization options per entity. Also, they can be networked through a Support Path so they can be shared among team members running CAD. The centralized location and quick access is what I like about Tool Palettes and why I feel they are one of the most important additions to AutoCAD in years.

8)

I see. So your question about tool palettes would be about customizing around a specific work-flow based on discipline. I feel better now that I know I didn't misunderstand you're initial question. At least I'm not completely crazy. :? :lol:

Haha, no you're good. It is the one thing that will tie me to at least AutoCAD LT always. No other CAD application I've found or heard of has something like it. I sure would love for someone to prove me wrong though.

Please don't misunderstand the purpose of my posts; I don't mean to bash the program. To be honest I'm quite thrilled to see a viable alternative to AutoCAD and just signed up for the developer's network just to check out the .net API. If it has a good enough help I might actually switch from AutoCAD developing to nanoCAD.

I'm curious about the program's ability to be carried on an USB stick. It's pretty light, so it should be doable... CAD, though not lightning fast, on any PC with more processing power than a pocket calculator.

Monkey7, In the Netherlands you can also talk with Mathijs Spelt from RasterTech Benelux for a "dutch" route to the NanoSoft team. At least your time zone not to bad for Moscow :)

Edited by cadvision

Hello to everybody, I don't know the Forum policy concerinig participation of other vendors, because the Forum is dedicated to AutoCAD.

Anyhow if you have any questions we (nanoCAD Team) will be glad to answer either here or on our own forum.

It's usually OK as long as it is not spam. Your product is fine as questions come up from time to time about free/budget friendly CAD applications. I used nanoCAD the other night as I needed to do figure out needed material for covering up the gables in my car-port. I took some measurements and drew it up in nanoCAD. All in all it did fine, I did not like how the cursor went from a pickbox to a crosshair on the copy (or was it offset) command but still got done what I needed.

Hello to everybody, I don't know the Forum policy concerinig participation of other vendors, because the Forum is dedicated to AutoCAD.

Anyhow if you have any questions we (nanoCAD Team) will be glad to answer either here or on our own forum.

• 3 weeks later...

I was trying to register for developer on their website, and filled in the form, but why It still kept asking to fill the application form.

Any one had any luck?