• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cadvision

• ScribbleJ

• tzframpton

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sure does look a lot like AutoCad in many respects. I wonder if Autodesk will raise any red-flags over this? Why would it be free if it has so much complexity to it?

DraftSight has a ton of AutoCAD functionality.

And AutoCAD is just as guilty as ripping other apps off, only difference is they buy them up so they can do it "legally" haha.

*EDIT* nanoCAD looks good. I think I'll try it out when I get home.

DraftSight has a ton of AutoCAD functionality.

And AutoCAD is just as guilty as ripping other apps off, only difference is they buy them up so they can do it "legally" haha.

*EDIT* nanoCAD looks good. I think I'll try it out when I get home.

I guess AutoDesk can't say much about it since it is free.

Yeah I'm on board with you StykFacE. Gonna do the same.

Below is the nanoSoft vision statement from their website. The site is nice and clean, so suggest you go check it for yourselves when you have some time. Easy to find information. I have been Beta testing and am happy with it's classic look and function. There are things I use in AutoCAD that aren't the same, but you can't have everything in a free CAD package. There are some great little tools that I'd have loved to see in AutoCAD. Dims and layer controls are two. They make their money with having develpers use nanoCAD as the base & the end user can opt for a support contract. It is Russian developed and has been very popular there for several years. A lot of verticals have been developed for the Russian market in that time. It has solid backers and developers.

nanoVision

The importance of IT in today’s world can hardly be overestimated as computers control an ever-increasing part of our lives. Industrial enterprises and engineers are perhaps the most eager consumers of IT as the nature of their routine operations has always been sophisticated and complicated. CAD systems are mission-critical applications for them.

Nanosoft overturns the conventional logic of the CAD developer.

• We started to develop nanoCAD back in 2008 inspired by a high piracy level in the global CAD software market. Our aim is to protect corporate CAD users business processes from legal risks and prosecution by offering them reliable, free and a hundred per cent legal solution – nanoCAD. More than one hundred thousand users of the nanoCAD in Russia today are proving that we are on the right track.
  • In essence, we are developing a remarkable CAD system providing value to our customers and distribute it for free since we believe our nanoCAD efforts would result in better products at dramatically lower cost. At Nanosoft we believe that professional CAD application should be as affordable as operating systems or VoIP application. The industry at large, and especially the customers, will be well served if that were the only result of our efforts.
  • We focus our efforts on building a great product, looking after our customers, and thereby building a nanoCAD brand that stands for quality and customer service. Ultimately nanoCAD is designed to deliver its customers quality, consistency, and reliability.
  • Another important underpinning of our philosophy is our strong belief in shared innovation and collaboration. Our aim is to build the best CAD platform with an open API. This means that any developer can port applications to nanoCAD with ease. Advanced user can also easily tailor preferred applications for use with nanoCAD.

Nanosoft is an Open Design Alliance Founding Member

I haven't had time to dig into it but I am hoping that it can run LISP routines so that I can work on developing my LISP knowledge while at home. My first guess though, is that it won't.

I checked it out last night. I like it. I have never tried AutoCad LT but I can imagine this is what it would be like. It was very familiar to me as soon as I got it running. Very nice work for a freebie.

I checked it out last night. I like it. I have never tried AutoCad LT but I can imagine this is what it would be like. It was very familiar to me as soon as I got it running. Very nice work for a freebie.
I didn't get the chance to last night. Got home and decided to play with my daughter all night instead of looking at a computer screen.

I'm wondering if there's anything like Tool Palettes? DraftSight doesn't have anything like this at all. If I can find a freebie that has a Tool Palette-like addition to it, I could get a few people up and running easily for simple CAD stuff they do.

I didn't get the chance to last night. Got home and decided to play with my daughter all night instead of looking at a computer screen.

I envy you there. I wished my son was around every night when I got home so I could hang out with him. Divorce sucks. :cry:

It happened a few years ago but none-the-less, I get less time with my son. He is 6 and 50 is knocking on my backdoor.

To answer your question StykFacE; Yes there is tool palettes.

Just gave the program a quick try, and it leaves me with mixed feelings.

On the one hand:

- Provides all the tools I have so far needed for 2d drafting

- A lot lighter on system resources than AutoCAD

- It's free.

On the other hand:

- Despite the fact I don't consciously use it with acad, I really miss the dynamic input

- I can't find an option for Xref fade, but that might be just me being up too late.

- Less program options than AutoCAD

- The layers dialog prevents other commands from being started. So you have to actually open and close it every time you edit a layer.

- Text in a block always stays horizontal. Might be a program setting, but I couldn't find it.

Will just have to use it for a day and see how I like it then.

I envy you there. I wished my son was around every night when I got home so I could hang out with him. Divorce sucks. :cry:

It happened a few years ago but none-the-less, I get less time with my son. He is 6 and 50 is knocking on my backdoor.

To answer your question StykFacE; Yes there is tool palettes.

Sad to hear. The big "D" never is a good situation since so many sacrifices are made. And thanks for the response, now I'm definitely going to check it out. :)

Just gave the program a quick try, and it leaves me with mixed feelings.

On the other hand:

- Despite the fact I don't consciously use it with acad, I really miss the dynamic input

- I can't find an option for Xref fade, but that might be just me being up too late.

- Less program options than AutoCAD

- The layers dialog prevents other commands from being started. So you have to actually open and close it every time you edit a layer.

- Text in a block always stays horizontal. Might be a program setting, but I couldn't find it.

Not sure what you meant by text in block stays horizantal. I made a block which contains text at 90 degrees and it stays 90 when inserted. I'm missing something?

Edited by cadvision
spelling