Watermark ...

nidhi singhania

Hello everyone...

Actually, I have to forward a cad file to a person and to be on the safer side, I thought if there is a possibility of me adding a watermark on that particular cad file, where in if any person tries to take a print out/plot of the file, the watermark will also be visible .

Kindly help me with this.. Thanks..

You can manipulate your plot stamp to leave a label on the border, or you can draw a watermark over the layouts in paperspace. However, anything you can do to the dwg file can be undone by whoever opens it. It is pretty much futile, unless it is burried in the program code someplace like the Educational Version plot stamp is, and we can't do that legally even if we knew how.

Send a JPG. If someone wants to steal your drawing they will either have to trace over it or resort to using a conversion program which usually results in a very poor quality replica.

When I need a watermark, I prefer to print to PDF and the use a PDF application to insert the watermark. AutoCAD does not offer much in the way of watermarks, but most of the good PDF applications can do it easily. You can send the PDF file with the watermark flattened so that no one can remove it if you wish.

The OP is required to provide a dwg format file.

When I agree to provide a dwg file, it is only for clients who are professional Engineers or Architects who do ALL the design work, and I set the layouts up using their title block. I don't even put my name on it, just initials, in the Drawn By: field.

I have had Harry Homeowner ask me to give them a copy of the drawing file. "Arhh uh humm, cough. My son is studying to be an architect. He can add to it someday if I want to make the 3 Season room bigger or something."

My answer is simple. "You own the property, I own the drawing file. If it gets changed, I get paid."

Of course, the prodigal son would still probably work up the next addition or change but I won't have any time invested in it then.