Different horizonal and vertical scaling

OrionTheHunter

Hello newbie here,

So my project is to design a sewer from elevation points we surveyed out in the field. So far I have created a polyline which represents the surface we surveyed. Our instructor gave us a template with a profile grid on the bottom half. I have place this polyline inside the grid but I am having trouble scaling this to the correct vertical and horizontal scales. I have made the polyline into a block. I know I can adjust the X and Y scaling of the block under properties--> geometry but I am confused about how to set these values correctly.

I need a vertical scale of 1"=2' and a horizontal scale of 1"=20', I am just confused about what I should enter into the X and Y scale factors to give me the correct scaling. Any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks

Don't scale it like that. Vanilla AutoCad is a right pain if you have a long section drawn at scale 1:1 in both the vertical and horizontal axes as you cannot scale a viewport on two different axes (vertical and horizontal). Making it a block and scaling the x & y individually should work if you simply have a polyline representing the natural surface (although you wouldn't want to scale an actual long section and all the levels associated with it).

The best way I have found is to draw it not 1:1 scale (which is also the way a lot of the civil design programs will do it). I.e. you might have you horizontal axis on a 1:10 scale and then your vertical axis on a 1:20 axis (where if doing it manually in AutoCad you would just have to scale that yourself manually when drawing the long section).

Also It needs to be printed on 26"x36" drafting paper if that matters at all.

Well work out how long the long section will be (i.e. 50m, 500m, 5km) and then what size horizontal scale will be needed to make it fit on the sheet. Then choose a nice rounded/standard scale for the vertical scale.

I don't work with Imperial units so I can't tell you how to do it, but this is what I do with this problem.

1. In the end I should have the horizontal scale at 1:100 and the vertical scale at 1:400

2. I scale the drawing in the viewport to 1:100 so I can draw the length of the pipes (in my case) at 1:1 scale in Model Space.

3. First I draw pipes with a vertical scale of 1:1.

4. I use BLOCK on the whole thing, and then scale the block only in Y (vertical direction) 4 times.

5. I explode it, and then add my texts and misc.

This process is helped by pre-made blocks for the text and levels and grid-lines that are already scaled so I know how it should look in the end so if I scale it wrong, the pipes won't fit with the premade blocks and I something is wrong.

And yes, I wish I could use Civil 3D :(

• 3 weeks later...
I need a vertical scale of 1"=2' and a horizontal scale of 1"=20', I am just confused about what I should enter into the X and Y scale factors to give me the correct scaling.

If you still want to scale your block the x would be 1/240 (0.0041666) and the y would be 1/24 (0.041666). Assuming you are trying to manually draw it to scale in model space. The better way would be to scale your block with with a factor of 10 in the y direction (i.e. x=1, y=10) in model space then use a scale of 1" to 20' in the viewport in paperspace.