curved zigzags

rosierosiepinksocks

Hi, I am new to autocad and new to forums so please be nice! I need to draw a curved zigzag with rounded points in autocad. I have managed to draw a curved zigzag with the zigzag linetype but it has gone gappy due to the curve and i cant fillet the points. I have managed to draw a straight zigzag and fillet the points. I don't know how to draw a curved zigzag accurately on here. Can someone help me please!?

Rosie

Welcome to Cadtutor.

I don't think it will be possible to use a linetype for the reasons you've already discovered. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea, but the best I can think of right now is to create the zig-zag manually using a polyline, then use FILLET > Polyline

Can you post a picture of the intended result?

zigzag.jpg

Thanks :) I need it like this but with the points filleted. I can't find a picture of how I want it to be. I hope this makes sense anyway!

The image above is a rough draft so to speak.

My "curvy" linetype was created using two commands found in Express Tools: MKSHAPE and MKLTYPE. I made one zig-zag from an arc that I mirrored (twice) and created a shape file from that. I used the shape file (called "wave") to create my custom linetype.

Oh, I imagined the zig-zag was still supposed to be primarily "straight" segments with filleted points, not just alternating arcs.

I've just been terminated :oops:

No need to worry there nestly. You have NOT been targeted for termination.8)

I thought the same thing too but I held off responding until rosie posted the image.

I would take the manual approach. Offset the outside arc, and then use Divide on the two arcs, with the appropriate number of points. Draw the polyline from point to point with the Endpoint and Node snaps activated. Then fillet the whole polyline with a suitable radius.

zag.jpg

Would this method make it possible to make one with straight segments with filleted points like nestly said? Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid!

Thank you all for being so helpful and nice :D I think with a bit of playing about I will be able to do this now due to your good advice!

each segment is identical on an circular curve like that, so you could use the array path option in 2012. Array a piece that is already filleted as you want it.

-edit-

Actually, if it's a circular curve, you could also do a polar array instead of path...