Layout Titleblock Insertion

Mechanical

Can someone tell me the most efficient way of inserting a title block (the border around a drawing with text etc) into a layout? Sometimes when I insert a title block it seems like the title block is too big or too small for the layout, any tips and help would be very welcome.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nestly

• Mechanical

• tmld

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This may seem like a dumb question but, can you tell me the process you use to insert a title block? (I use Insert->Block->Insert and then attach the dwg) can you tell me are you in paper space when you insert your titleblock in your layout?

Get in the habit of using layouts, for title insert it at true size our A1 is 804x567 then plot at 1:1 use mview to create windows at scale of your model. Lots of posts about this under plotting. Like above different sheets different title sizes but always 1:1

Ps a A3 is a A1 plotted at 1:2 we do not resize the title sheet

Insert the Titleblock in Paperspace. The title block should be just a bit smaller than the printable area of your paper. ie if you're printing on 8.5 x 11 paper, a titleblock that measures 8 x 10.25" would be appropriate.

i would really like to know how do you scale a large title block to fit on the printable area in a layout(the rectangular dotted line)?

Do you mean you want use a titleblock that's designed to fit on a larger paper? I hope not, because the detail is going to be too small to be usable.

You should use or make a titleblock with dimensions that are just a bit smaller than the printable area (the dotted lines in the layout)

Open the plot dialog box, select your printer/plotter, pick the paper size, then hover over the preview to see the printable area.

Printablearea.JPG

Edited by nestly

What units are you working in?

We work in imperial units and with paper sizes ranging from 8.5x11, 11x17, 18x24 to 24x36 so we have titleblocks that are sized accordingly.

ok, I am working with a title block that is slightly larger than the layout border, what is the correct method to shrink the block to fit the paper margin in the layout?

ok, I am working with a title block that is slightly larger than the layout border, what is the correct method to shrink the block to fit the paper margin in the layout?

Open the block with the block editor, and change the dimensions of the Titleblock border(s). Then save the block with a name that allows you to identify what size paper it's designed for.

Alternately, if your titleblock is designed for a certain size paper, but your printer driver has an undersized printable area, you can just increase the size of the printable area in the plot dialog box

Open the block with the block editor, and change the dimensions of the Titleblock border(s). Then save the block with a name that allows you to identify what size paper it's designed for.

Alternately, if your titleblock is designed for a certain size paper, but your printer driver has an undersized printable area, you can just increase the size of the printable area in the plot dialog box

Thanks for suggestions, do you know of any other method where I can make the titleblock slightly shrink or "fit to page" within the paper extents? I have seen someone at my old workplace do it but I cant remember the exact method?

Can I ask why you don't just want to make the titleblock the correct size for the paper?

I guess if you're bound and determined not to use a titleblock that's the proper size for the paper, you can use the SCALE command to make it a little bit smaller, but I wouldn't advise it, especially if the titleblock contains hash marks around the border as their spacing will be wrong.

Can I ask why you don't just want to make the titleblock the correct size for the paper?

I guess if you're bound and determined not to use a titleblock that's the proper size for the paper, you can use the SCALE command to make it a little bit smaller, but I wouldn't advise it, especially if the titleblock contains hash marks around the border as their spacing will be wrong.

Just curious about the abilities of autocad.

When I saw someone make a titleblock fit they clicked and dragged a box and the title block magically fitted in the layout page extents, but I'm not sure how it was actually done.

Yeah, but you'll have to do that each and every layout.

Save yourself a huge amount of time and frustration and make a titleblock that fits the printable area of the paper you want to plot to.

Perhaps they were using a

Either that, or the title block was in first, then they dragged the corner of the viewport to match the titleblock.

Actually, I haven't actually inserted a titleblock for years. When I need to add another layout, I either copy one that already exists in the drawing, or I insert the layout from a template drawing. Inserted/coped layouts already contain the paper/plotter setup, the viewport(s) and the titleblock.

watched the vid...a dynamic titleblock would be interesting...but it would still vary ever-so-slightly from layout to layout since there are no snap points associated with the dashed printable area line: you could only get so close.

[standing on a soapbox, I say] Close is not a standard one should work towards.

And since the lower left of printable space is 0,0 why didn't the instructor in the vid make the insertion point 0,0, with the dynamic grip on the opposite corner. It seemed backwards to me.

firstly, I agree with others that these should be set so scaling is not needed.

If you do want to scale the inaccurate titleblock to be very accurate, then first draw a rectangle the same size as your paper size (ie full bleed pdf sizes for me are -.0625 from the named size. Full bleed 24x36 is an allowable boundary of 23.9375x35.9375. Look at the paper sizes in the print driver properties to see the size of the printable space for each paper size).

let's say I draw this rectangle, then insert the titleblock to 0,0. Then select it, SCALE, pick 0,0 as basepoint, select R for reference, pick 0,0 again, then pick the right corner of the titleblock, then pick the right corner of the rectangle. It's as precise as you can get - one rectangle, one scale with reference points. It would be the same idea with a dynamic block (didn't watch the vid but I think I get the jist of it).

Create a template for each size paper you'll be printing to and you'll never have to worry about this ever again. Which is probably something that could have been done in far less time than has been spent posting here.