How to make Zipper?

lulumara

Is anyone know how to make Zipper style(in Solidworks) for a BAG that is going to go straight then to curving at 90 degree? Any sample you had? Thanks in advanced.

do you need an actual working zipper? In a case like this i would probably just apply a material to make it look like a zipper. Otherwise you will need to model one tooth and do a curve driven pattern. Sorry ive never drawn one so i dont have a sample.

Thanks Matt I did it by myself , I just got it yesterday by using a tiny extruded thickness so it can curve by using curve pattern . I was trying so many times but I got it thanks again. But is there any material that you can use as Zipper? Does Solidworks have it? I was doing now the Velcrow kinda Solidwork freezes when ever I make a lot of small pin to look like a velcrow.

Matt , how can you reduced the files size of a drawing or prts file. I made a zipper but it comes to 3.5Mb which when I insert to Assembly file it becomes 7 Mb in size ,my computer or Solidworks freezes? I had a problem also when I put materials in Assembly file it becomes gray every time I open it? Not sure what's happening is there any solution to put it back to color, or if I put materials on it doesn't show any?

lulu, i dont know off hand but there are tons of materials websites out there. Nothing i know of is preloaded in SW. Anytime you have large patterns like that they will really slow your performance way down. The specs of your computer will determine how well that actually performs. I know one of the sub-forums here has a thread with materials sites. I think the main one is CGmaterials.

for the assembly vs part level materials, I know what you are talking about but without SW in front of my im not sure i can walk you through it. It will probably be tomorrow before i get in front of SW so i will try to post something then for you.

Hi Matt, what's that CG material? where can I find it. I did some changes to the drawing with only materials( mesh screen) in placed, there it reduced the size. But I need Zipper as material to put if you know where I can find it. A huge thanks Matt for helping, I'll wait for it. Good Day. Can lead me also how to add materials on Solidworks not sure how to , sorry I've been on and off doing Solidworks still grasping some ideas, thanks again.

For materials check this subform.

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?24-Blocks-Images-Models-amp-Materials

there are posts at the top that have links to several sites. You will have to search for zipper materials.

I didnt make this video but it is on using JPEG images for materials.

http://www.mymlcservices.com/index.php?option=com_hwdvideoshare&task=viewvideo&Itemid=595&video_id=424

For the Part vs assembly level materials i will need a bit more information. Have you applied any materials at the assembly level? those will over-ride the materials at the part level automatically i believe.

Matt , how can you reduced the files size of a drawing or prts file. I made a zipper but it comes to 3.5Mb which when I insert to Assembly file it becomes 7 Mb in size ,my computer or Solidworks freezes? I had a problem also when I put materials in Assembly file it becomes gray every time I open it? Not sure what's happening is there any solution to put it back to color, or if I put materials on it doesn't show any?

FREEZING ON 7MB PARTS? Does your computer have the minimum requirements for Solidworks?

Hi Matt, I watched the video but when I got a zipper jpeg solidworks & does not accept the jpeg as appearance file. Not sure why? Yes I did applied materials on assembly level. But as of now I build another assembly in able me to go thru this work.