Help with COGO where to start

cyjones

Good Afternoon,

I have surveyors descriptions from 2002 or earlier and I am trying to start a parcel layer. Any good suggestions as where to start. I have a layer of Townships, Ranges and Sections from someone who build the existing drawings dating 1996. Since all the existing drawings are based on that, I figure I should stay with it. Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

I am not sure what your end result will be?

Are you creating tax-lot drawings? Plat maps? As-builts? New Subdivisions? Right-of-way delineations? ALTA maps? Legal Descriptions? for a Municipality? State Land Dept? Private Owner? Commercial enterprise?

Can you be more descriptive as to what you have and where you are wanting to be?

Bent with lots 2009_working.pdf So I tried attaching a pdf of the area I am working on. The red is the exception right from the deed and it closes nicely but definitely not what I expected.. From what I see the attachment is not readible. I will work on it tomorrow.

It is not in any coordinate system. Just the drawing from a long time ago. I am thinking, the more I get into this project, I may need to start a whole new drawing or drawings. Not looking forward to it for aligning everything would be job security.

Many thanks

Considering the T/R Sections are from 16 year old data and the survey data is 10 years old I say its pretty close depending on what the final product is for of course. I would start from new dwgs and see if you can locate any know points to start from. If you're not getting current survey data or GPS data you are pretty much doing a guessing game. My rule is if its less than 10 acres then the Township-Range & Sections method is close but no cigar. (my opinion). I would do a few distance & bearings/azimuth check on the dwgs you have and see if they match the surveyor's data you were given.

I truly appreciate hearing what others are doing for it is a guideline as to what I should be accomplishing and whether or not I am going down the right path. When I do the checks the PLSS lines are not lining up the best. One of my main issues is my boss believes the man that drew these drawings was very meticulous so why is the data not aligning up. That drawing I attached was from the same deed, using the same method of drawing the lines, different starting points.

So what I am thinking for now is to best fit for this little project I am on and when I can formulate a plan/best practice/methods in place for the whole county using cogo using the full potential of AutoCad Map 3D, then start with that.

Again, I truly appreciate all the comments.