Obtain elevation values to 3D polyline from shape file

username85

Greetings everyone,

i have had great feedback so far, so that is why i have returned with yet another beginners question.

I remember from civil 3d times, that it was easy to obtain height values to polyline. If i remember correctly, what i did was i drew a polyline in plan view over tin surface. From there on it was easy to obtain the values of the heights to polyline from points, where it crossed tin file surface lines. Is such similar thing possible in map3D in a situation where i have shape file as a surface with elevation values?

I guess it must work somehow from query option, but i havent either found the right solution from internet nor by myself.

Lots of thanks in advance(y).

i have shape file as a surface with elevation values

Please elaborate that point, or upload here the shapefile, thanx.

smile.gif

Unfortunately i cannot share the shape file due to confidentiality of the information. The file itself is usual .shp file extension, which includes file extensions such as .shx, .dbf, .idx, .prj., .sbn and .sbx.

When shp connection is generated, map feature isolines are generated with 1m distribution.

Map3D does not create "breaklines" like Civl3D does. The best you will be able to do is draw 3d plines and snap to nearest of the contour lines once you set them to their respective elevations.

Unfortunately i cannot share the shape file due to confidentiality of the information

Feel free to upload ONLY the geometrical .SHP file, without any 'confidential' attributes of the .DBF one.

Let me understand: do you wanna drap a 2D poly on a 3D surface, then extract the resulting 3Dpoly..?

smile.gif

Is this really the only option? I was considering it, but it is large area, plus the fact that it is not only about the boundary but also about the whole area, which should correspond to the topography?

Could somebody possibly help me with the issue of where i have the very same shape file as mentioned above. And i need to project a certain mountain with specific slope grades on top of it. As i also need to get the volume of the projected mountain, i can not use mesh in that case and i guess solid is the best option? What would be the best possible solution for such task?

Ideally if i had civil 3D to use, i would create a tin surface, create another surface higher above and project mountain with specific slope grades onto the lower surface. From there on i could easily calculate the volume between two surfaces, but unfortunately i dont have access to civil3D at this moment.