Need help to start Piping

hoss

Hi,

I am a total newbie in MEP, first time, I have been asked (pushed into) using it.

I will be piping a boiler house with three big boilers (lots of pipes)

There will be steel flanged pipe, steel welded pipes and also other types.

I am very confused with the whole thing.

I have created some simple 3d drawings of the boilers, which I will be inserting them into MEP, is this correct? or do I need to convert them to parts?

How do you set Preferences for different pipe types.

I have ordered "The Aubin Academy Master Series: AutoCAD MEP 2012" book,

But I need to start this project straight away.

I would appreciate if someone could give simple instructions, on what needs to be done prior to start piping.

Thanks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• hoss

• dumfatnhappy

• jmerch

First thing you need to understand is that you do not need to convert 3D models to MvParts. I usually create normal 3D parts with standard AutoCAD Solids to make the equipment for BIM projects. It's just unnecessary extra steps to convert things to MvParts (sometimes, not all the time). So just using standard AutoCAD 3D Solids is perfectly fine.

Now before you even do that, you'll want to use the "Aecb Model (US Imperial CTB)" Template File. Or, use Metric if this is your standard units requirements. The thing about this template, is that is already has all the catalog of piping components and piping systems already developed. You just have to "draw" and not have to set up any Layer Key Styles, Display Representations, Catalog of Parts/Pipes/Fittings/etc, and anything else.

First thing you need to understand is that you do not need to convert 3D models to MvParts. I usually create normal 3D parts with standard AutoCAD Solids to make the equipment for BIM projects. It's just unnecessary extra steps to convert things to MvParts (sometimes, not all the time). So just using standard AutoCAD 3D Solids is perfectly fine.

Now before you even do that, you'll want to use the "Aecb Model (US Imperial CTB)" Template File. Or, use Metric if this is your standard units requirements. The thing about this template, is that is already has all the catalog of piping components and piping systems already developed. You just have to "draw" and not have to set up any Layer Key Styles, Display Representations, Catalog of Parts/Pipes/Fittings/etc, and anything else.

You know, you should keep a running Word document of your tips and just post that each time :lol:

Man, I know right! lol

Feel free to jump in anytime and take my place in the MEP forum. Sometimes I feel that I'm the only one who responds in here.

lol, I'm no master in MEP2012. When I started in it, I worked about 6 months with it and then we switched to a third party program. But I'll try to chime in where I can from what I remember. :)

Well technically for me I'm more Revit MEP nowadays anyways. Usually I have to reference to give a response. I still believe in AutoCAD MEP, but the more I'm in Revit MEP the more I see downfalls with AutoCAD MEP.

Not trying to discourage you from coming back, but also remember that Autodesk gives you a decent amount of descriptive support in their AutoCAD MEP user guide. Here's a link: http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadmep/enu/online-help/browse#WS73099cc142f48755a52158612bd434e551-7f2a.htm

Come back with any questions you might have, but in your down time don't forget to review what's already available to you. Also, there are tutorials on the Autodesk website under the Support Section.

The only (well one) reason to create Mvparts is so you can control the graphics. i.e. you can make them look different in plan or section. the 'beauty' for me is you can see hidden lines behind them whereas you can't with regular solids.

2 cents

The only (well one) reason to create Mvparts is so you can control the graphics. i.e. you can make them look different in plan or section. the 'beauty' for me is you can see hidden lines behind them whereas you can't with regular solids.

2 cents

Very good tip, and firmly accurate. To extend on this tip, using the "MVPARTCONVERT" command will quickly convert any 3D solid(s) to an MvPart to utilize this benefit.

Not trying to discourage you from coming back, but also remember that Autodesk gives you a decent amount of descriptive support in their AutoCAD MEP user guide. Here's a link: http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocadmep/enu/online-help/browse#WS73099cc142f48755a52158612bd434e551-7f2a.htm

Come back with any questions you might have, but in your down time don't forget to review what's already available to you. Also, there are tutorials on the Autodesk website under the Support Section.

I totally agree with Tannar here. Like most people here, I had to teach myself the program and in a very short amount of time. It was a lot of reading and watching youtube videos, no joke! :D

I totally agree with Tannar here. Like most people here, I had to teach myself the program and in a very short amount of time. It was a lot of reading and watching youtube videos, no joke! :D

you my friend...are NOT just whistling Dixie....!! :?

I am back, as promised :oops:

As mentioned I need to pick between flanged and butt welded.

Every time I select pipe (pipe add) I get the “choose a Part" box.

Is this normal?

It’s rather annoying?!

I think I ma getting too old to learn :(

it's asking you what kind of pipe you want right? I wish you could set a default but not sure if you can.

anybody?

I am back, as promised :oops:

As mentioned I need to pick between flanged and butt welded.

Every time I select pipe (pipe add) I get the “choose a Part" box.

Is this normal?

It’s rather annoying?!

I think I ma getting too old to learn :(

Did you start with the Template file that I noted in my first post? This is why I told you to start with that specific Template file, so you won't have these problems. You probably don't have any pipe systems, routing preferences, and pipe fittings loaded at all.

I started with Aecb Model (UK Ctb)

Then used xref to bring in the builing 3d model (so I can used walls and trench...)

Xref again to insert Boilers, pumps, etc

and started piping :huh:

I have three icons on my desktop, AutoCAD MEP 2011 (global), AutoCAD MEP 2011 (UK) and AutoCAD MEP 2011 (US Imperial),

does it matter which one I start with, I have been using the UK one????????

Thanks

I would use the UK profile. Never use Global, delete the icon off your desktop if you can. Only use US Imperial if you need to use standard units and parts that are related to the United States. I assume you'll never use this Profile.

Lets check to see if your drawing file has everything loaded. Type STYLEMANAGER at the command line. Expand Piping Objects in the Drawing tree, and expand Pipe System Definitions. Do you see a good selection of different piping systems already created? Things like, Chilled Water, Hot Water, etc? If so then you have everything in there, and we'll just need to adjust the routing preferences to select Flanged connections is all. Verify and post back please.

:)

Thanks for reply

I have lots of items in the Pipe System Definitions, starting with anti-Syphon to Waste Vent Piping.

Thanks for your help again