No Product Key?

newky84

Hi, am wondering if someone can help. One of my colleagues bought a new, supposedly unregistered copy of AutoCAD 2010 from ebay in October. When he came to install in December there was no product key. The seller claims it has been lost/damaged in the post, and was going to follow it up with the postal service. My colleague has since left the company and it has fallen to me to resolve the issue. The seller is not answering emails anymore, it is too late to file a Paypal dispute and AutoCAD say there is nothing they can do. Can anyone think of anything else I can try please as we have paid £800 for this.

Thanks

Is this question for your colleague or for you? Lol, j/k

1. Your colleague purchased the software illegally. You can only buy current versions from authorized resellers.

2. You can get a serial directly from Autodesk support. Good luck, though.

Sorry to say buy you might be out of luck on this one. :(

You can kiss your money goodbye. Unfortunately you got ripped off. There is nothing that you can legally do at this point.

You might have to resort to using one of the free AutoCAD clones that are available until such time as you can afford to purchase a legitimate copy of the program.

Sorry but your friend is out of luck :( Never buy used copies of AutoCAD, it is against their EULA. I know that is a hard pill to swallow. Other than use a crack which I am not in favor of you are pretty much stuck.

Your only chance of recovering the money for you company is to go after the seller and/or your colleague for re-reimbursement. In principal, I think you should go after the seller, as I have little doubt that it was his intention to commit fraud. From a practical/financial standpoint, I think you'd probably end up loosing more trying to get your money back than the initial loss.

As stated by nestly, go after the seller. I have not used eBay and/or PayPal for some time, but I am pretty sure you can have there accounts canceled if you can prove fraud and if they still have money in PayPal you may still get it frozen and/or reimbursed.

These guys are basically fly-by-night scam artists. The chances that the guy is still hanging around eBay (using the same name/identity) is slim and none. Given the fact the purchase was made in October of 2011 and it is now March of 2012 only makes matters worse. Had this been pursued back in October maybe the OP would have had a better chance. I'm betting this guy is long gone. Unfortunate.

If you had been given a Product Code and Serial Number it most likely would have been a stolen student version SN anyhow and illegal for you to use for commercial use.

There are now 3.977 million student users of the software.

They frequently post their personal serial numbers on the student website not realizing that there are scam artists out there trolling for these numbers which they then sell. As each number can only be activated twice - once the activations have been used up they have to wait for a new one to be posted.

Nearly everyone in this business has been educated that you should only purchase from an authorized reseller.

Some of these scammers have very impressive ligitimate-looking websites that reference a court case of a couple of years ago that ruled the media (disk, box, whatever was in the box) can legally be sold on ebay. But what they fail to disclose is the case said nothing about registration/activation of the software license.

Not to beat a dead horse but unless I can find a newer ruling, you can't sell it period.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/09/the-end-of-used-major-ruling-upholds-tough-software-licenses.ars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernor_v._Autodesk,_Inc.

As it sits right now you still can't re-sale AutoCAD.

"On October 1, 2010, Vernor filed a petition for the case to be reheard en banc. Autodesk filed its reply on November 10, 2010. The Ninth Circuit denied the request on January 18, 2011.[15] The Supreme Court denied Vernor's petition for certiorari in October 2011"

I am sure some are getting away with it but as JD said good luck getting it registered.

These guys are basically fly-by-night scam artists. The chances that the guy is still hanging around eBay (using the same name/identity) is slim and none. Given the fact the purchase was made in October of 2011 and it is now March of 2012 only makes matters worse. Had this been pursued back in October maybe the OP would have had a better chance. I'm betting this guy is long gone. Unfortunate.

I found one selling Educational version 2010, been selling on eBay since Nov. 2002. Worth a shot.

The sad thing is that you could have gotten a legitimate copy of Bricscad for less money and it's almost as good a product as Autocad. The current version is roughly equivalent to Acad 2008 in features and their support team is great.

If you used Paypal for your payment you can maybe get your money back, but unlikely now. I think you have to lodge it withing 30 days. you friend can now get a full cad package from free at www.nanocad.com. Registration is required, but the software is free.

Selling something that is given away free to students? I'll pass just the same. Thanks.

I was refering to filing a complaint with ebay and paypal, as in they are not all fly by night. :ouch:

I checked the product code on the DVD of 2012 that I have against the list in the link provided and it is the same.

The OP would still need to provide the unique serial number (XXX-XXXXXXXX) for his copy of 2010 during the registration process in order to obtain an activation code.