Read Only Dims

andresperezcera

I don't know why all the pieces in one of my assemblies now show me the read only dim warning. I need to set new equations but this wont let me do anything to the dimensions. Can anyone help?

Did this really happen all of a sudden or after you tried to add a relation or move something? The only time you get that error(i think) is when something is over defined and SW has to convert the dims to a reference.

It is not a warning like when trying to do a new relation or moving, it's just when i try to double click a part's dimension (which i can modify by dragging) it won't let me modify by inserting an exact number, neither by using formulas. It's like it got locked, but isn't. I'm currently deleting the trouble operation and reconstruction relations feature by feature.

can you tell me what these dimensions are actually for? are they dimensions at the part level inside of your assembly? meaning are they driving things like your extrude sketch profiles. Are these dimensions feature based like an extrude height? Or are the based on mates?

They are at the part level and feature based; those belong to an extrude operation.

I already re-did the whole thing deleting the operation and then re-mating everything. That allowed an small time-frame in which i could add equations to and make it parametric. Dimensions continue to lock after inserting parts in the assembly, but i take care of adding needed equations before they get locked, so i can still modify according to the model.

They are at the part level and feature based; those belong to an extrude operation.

I already re-did the whole thing deleting the operation and then re-mating everything. That allowed an small time-frame in which i could add equations to and make it parametric. Dimensions continue to lock after inserting parts in the assembly, but i take care of adding needed equations before they get locked, so i can still modify according to the model.

When you are in an assembly you wont be able to see the equations at the part level. If you edit the part in the assembly you will be able to make those changes. However if you expand your part in the assembly and expand the equations folder you can click on any of those variables when adding them to a new equation.

Example: I drew a cylinder. Circle diameter was 2". I then made an equation to drive the extrude height based on that diameter and a multiplier. I brought this part into an assembly and create a new Equation at the assembly level. When i click on my equation from the part its reference is something like this... "Cylinder Height@Part11@Assem12.SLDASM" So back in the part level it only references the names. I know 2012 had some big changes to the equation editor but im still running 2011.

Equations are at assembly level, but control features at part level. However, it doesn't matter it's done. Thanks for your help.

well it will matter for the next person who searches for this for the answer:) The same thing applies with dimensions at the part level. While you have the equation editor open you can double click on the feature or sketch at the part level then simply click on the dimension in question. Again it will bring it in with a reference to the part.

my example in the previous post was equations at the assembly level controlling features and sketches at the part level. The only difference is i was referencing an equation at the part level rather than just a dimension. both are possible.

glad you got it figured out.