Fillet edge command

Emily

Hi, im having trouble getting the fillet edge command to work. Ive never had a problem with it before but now i get

geometry or topology at end of blend too complex

Failed to perform blend.

Failure while filleting.> i have no idea why its not working. please help its for homework.

2nd.dwg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SLW210

• JD Mather

• Emily

• 3D generator

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks, Seant so is the problem due to it being made out of a splice line and not a polyline? I'm still confused as to what i did wrong. and thank you for moving it SLW210

sorry really new

Hi Emily,

Filleting can be one of the most frustrating tasks in any 3d software, not just AutoCAD!

I didn't study the file, but SEANT probably rebuilt the base curve to make sure that all points of tangency between curves are truly tangent to each other. The fillet command doesn't like 'kinks' where two curves come together in a non-tangent way. That's not to say that it won't work with kinks, often it does. When it doesn't work however, non-tangent conditions are usually the culprit.

If you're using AutoCAD 2012 in a suite, try editing the geometry in Inventor Fusion. I've found that it will sometimes work when AutoCAD can't do it. Just select the object and click the Edit in Fusion button on the contextual ribbon.

In another CAD program a Quality Check returns some errors on the original geometry.

What program was used to create the dwg?

Quality Check.jpg

@3d generator thanks it has been difficult, unfortunately i don't have 2012 in a suite. how do i make a line more tangible?

and to JD mather i originally created it in adobe illustrator, then exported it as a dwg

i originally created it in adobe illustrator, then exported it as a dwg

I don't think you will have much success using this workflow.

I believe Inventor Fusion is available with vanilla AutoCAD 2012, I know the seats we have came with it, no Suites just vanilla AutoCAD 2012.

JD mather i have used the same process with a similar design an it worked perfectly, this one however is giving me trouble.

an i don't have the vanilla autocad but thanks for the tip. ill just use the inventor fusion download. thank you everyone:)

Vanilla AutoCAD is just plain AutoCAD, meaning not a verticle and you should already have Inventor Fusion, maybe IT didn't load it for you.

Yes, Fusion is part of a typical 2012 install. You should be able to find it on the Windows Start menu right next to AutoCAD2012, or access it from the Ribbon "Plugins" tab.

Hi Emily,

I agree with JD Mather, you probably won't have much luck with the Illustrator to AutoCAD workflow. I'd stick with AutoCAD from the start to avoid problems. If you're new to 3d modeling in AutoCAD, I highly recommend JD Mather's tutorials on his website. The link to it is in his signature above. I worked through all of them and it really took my 3d modeling skills to a new level.

I don't think Inventor Fusion is free but a similar product called Autodesk 123D is free. I've never used it with AutoCAD but it might work for you. It won't have the seamless workflow link that Fusion does though. If Fusion does come with vanilla AutoCAD, you can access it from the command line as well. Just type in EDI at the command line and it should autocomplete to EDITINFUSION if you have it.

One easy way to ensure tangency in freeform curves is to draw them with the polyline arc option. Each consecutive arc drawn is tangent to the previously drawn arc by default.

I guess I was wrong about Fusion not being free. It will expire in May however.

I suspect the 2013 version will be available around April 15, not sure if it will be free - but my guess is that it will be free.

• 3 years later...

Hi!

I'm not very familiar with autocad, I'm trying to subtract a font within a solid and round the edges of the text, it worked on polyline letters, not on a spline letter tho (S) please help! I always get the failure message, that the geometry is too complex...I tried to explode the geometry and fillet surfaces, that didn't work as well, some crazy filleting came out of that experiment...what can I do?

Thanks for help!

I'll attach an image for better understanding,

Best, Fatima

PRICETAGsale.dwg