Minimum Distance between 3D objects

gtwatson

I am really new to 3D and wanted to see what the minimum distance between two 3D rectangles is. I can do trial and error using the INTERFERE command (Acad 2012) and move the 2 groups until they stop hitting each other, but I wanted to see if there is a command in ACAD that will tell me how close 2 objects pass.

I have an old pile foundation group for 4 tower legs and I wanted to see how close I could get the new pile group to the old group. I'll try to attach a dwg file with 3 options I was trying. The old group is in Cyan and the new group is Red.

I'm guessing I could use UCS and set it on one of the piles and measure to the closest old pile, but the screen gets so cluttered. Is there a way to only show a slice through the objects?

new-foundation-conflicts-cheryl.dwg

You can make them touch. Using your Osnaps or your new to 2012 3D Object Snaps, there is no guesswork involved.

There are lots of different ways to do SECTIONS, try your Autocad HELP (f1).

You might like to try using 4 viewports in your modelspace, which enables you to simultaneously track objects from different perspectives.

In your modelspace (on 2012) click the icon in the upper left corner, then choose VIEWPORT CONFIGURATION list, FOUR:EQUAL.

Edited by Dadgad

Thanks for the reply, Ill try the view-ports. I really don't want them to touch. I wanted to know how close they come to each other. The Cyan piles are old and in-place. The red piles are going to be driven into the mud near the old piles and I wanted to be able to pick a location where I can move the red group the minimum distance and miss the old piles. Through trial and error I found that if the red center is 40' (I drew the piles in feet and they are 2'x2'x90' long) from the center of the Cyan group, they hit the old group. As I move them to 41 and 42 feet they miss each other and at 43' they hit at a different place. So I wanted to move them to 41'-6 and then tell the pile contractor how close the old pile would be from the ones he will be driving. The battered piles are driven at 15° from vertical. The old piles are battered at 3:12 slope (if they were driven correctly). To complicate matters a barge hit the old piles on the left and broke them off. We are replacing the foundations with new ones and installing a 332' tall tower that I just designed that has a larger base spread. I don't want to move the new foundations back too far because the span over the river crossing is already over 1500' and the wire sag gets very big as the span increases.

I think it's ultimately going to be a manual process of trial and error, but multiple viewports and/or Live Sections should be helpful.

You may also consider using a 3rd object and INTERFERE to not only see the interference, but also the gap before an another interference occurs