Replacing my printer

zp3design

I'm getting ready to replace my old HP inkjet printer. I will be replacing with another standard inkjet, all-in-one if necessary and I only need letter size prints. I use autocad to draw parts that I machine, on a manual lathe and milling machine, mostly for hobby needs. Are some brands or models of printers more autocad friendly than others.

Thanks for any input/suggestions

zp3

Why inkjet? Why not a black/white laser printer. Costs have come down and the price per page is cheaper.

Still don't understand how an ink cartridge with about 25 cents worth of ink in it costs $37. Talk about a ripoff.

Hadn't really considered that, I do use color occasionally for other purposes and actually I print some of my drawings using color for say dimensions etc. You've got me thinking now.

zp3

You are producing the drawings only for yourself right? Do you really need color capability? You could always use lineweight and/or screening to make elements of your drawing appear differently from each other when printed.

Having the ability to print in color is pretty darn handy, Basic color inkjets are petty cheap, Ink cost aside, why put yourself in a corner by limiting output to B&W?

I haven't bought a printer in a few years, but I can't recall any AutoCAD compatibility issue from any of the HP's, Epsons, Canons, or Lexmarks I did have, other than there's no Win7 driver available for my HP 9600.

In my opinion since the OP is producing drawings only for himself and not others I don't see the need to go with a color inkjet. A laser printer with toner cartridge will, in the long run, end up being a better buy.

Yes, inkjet printers are pretty cheap. And the reason for that is simply because the manufacturer more than makes up for it by selling replacement ink cartridges at a staggering markup.

I agree with ReMark on going laser printer. You can go All-in-One color laser for less than $500 U.S. All-in-Ones I prefer Brother or Canon.

Bought a brother A4/letter laser 20 ppm cost $52 cartridge inside = 900 prints 600Dpi same printer week later $39 at big dealer ran out of toner really had to think hard new toner v's new printer bought toner $66 could have saved a few dollars maybe on ebay.

Bottom line B&W real sharp colour $100 ? Ink cartridge $40 ? how many 200+

Ps printer supplied no cable had correct cable but on another printer Pc guy $19.99 local supermaket $5.99 bottle coke, vegetables, steak, toilet paper some soap etc