Need help with the roof (autocad architecture 2012)

miroslav_s

house1.png

Hello to you all,

I need some help how to draw my roof correctly. The house has dimension 8 x 8 meters and when I draw the roof with the roof command I get the roof as shown in the picture 2. What I want is the roof to be A HIP roof and not GABLE roof (the first picture). I know that in order to change from Hip to Gable I need to pull the light blue handle on the top. BUT there is only ONE light blue handle to pull?!?! For example when the house dimension is not square (8x8)8) but instead for example 8x9 then I can have 2 light blue handles on the top and then I can easily pull them in the right direction and the roof is changed from being hip roof to being gable roof. But when the house dimension is 8 x 8 I only get ONE light blue handle. How can I change that?

Also, if you look at the picture tONE you can see how I would like my roof to look at the end (red lines). I search a little on the youtube videos regarding roof tutorials but with no luck how to make the roof look like this. How must I draw the roof lines with the ROOF command so that my roof looks like this?

Hope I explained correctly with my text and pictures what I want.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Best regards to you all,

Miro

house2.png

Edited by miroslav_s

It is quite simply the geometry. On a perfectly square house, a normal hip roof (all sides equal pitch) will appear as this one does. All four sides are equal.

In order for there to ne a horizontal ridge, either two oposite ends of the roof will have to have a pitch that is not equal to the adjacent sides, or you have to have a house that is not perfectly square.

Hello again,

Well I managed to fix the roof so that changes from gable roof to hip roof. Now the only problem remaining is how to “pull out”that smaller roof out (first picture with the red lines showing how the roof should look like). How do I do that?

Really need help with this.

Bets regards

M

Hello again,

Well I managed to fix the roof so that changes from gable roof to hip roof. Now the only problem remaining is how to “pull out”that smaller roof out (first picture with the red lines showing how the roof should look like). How do I do that?

Really need help with this.

Bets regards

M

Well, I see now. My answer seemed backwards because it appears you referred to picture 1, a gable roof, as a hip roof, and referred to picture 2, a hip roof, as a gable. I thought you were having a problem with the hip roof not having a horizontal ridge, which is not possible on a house with 4 equal sides, and 4 equal roof pitch angles.

I wonder why you drew a hip roof and are trying to change it to a gable roof. Why not draw the gable roof from the start? Can you not simply draw two intersecting gable roofs?

Well, I see now. My answer seemed backwards because it appears you referred to picture 1, a gable roof, as a hip roof, and referred to picture 2, a hip roof, as a gable. I thought you were having a problem with the hip roof not having a horizontal ridge, which is not possible on a house with 4 equal sides, and 4 equal roof pitch angles.

I wonder why you drew a hip roof and are trying to change it to a gable roof. Why not draw the gable roof from the start? Can you not simply draw two intersecting gable roofs?

Hi Dana,

You are right, I don´t have to draw first a hip roof in order to create a gable roof.Since I´m a beginner I didn´t know that. Now I do and I managed to see that option when I tried to draw roof from the beginning. Now, when I select the roof command the second thing I do is to press letter G to choose Gable roof,then I press Y to confirm it and then I point out all four corners of this 8 x8 meters square (walls) and of course press ENTER. The roof is not made and I get a warning message like this:

Problem:

All the sides of the roof are gables

Possible Solution(s):

Use roof slab to create all gable sideroof.

I noticed that the picture in my post above where I am showing how I want my roof to look like is wrong so I made another one. It is a T shaped gable roof, showed in two different views.Can you please instruct me how to draw thisroof?

p2.png

p1.png

Best regards and thanks in advance,

Miro

I just noticed that you are using ACad Architecture. I am afraid I am not familiar with that particular software. Actually. I was merely trying to help you get the terminology and practicality straightened out.

Someone will take notice of the thread soon who can help you with your commands to use.

Possibly, indicating all 4 corners is not correct for a gable roof. It may only want you to indicate the two ends that are gables in order to set some sort of limits. Like I said though, I don't know the commands you are using myself.

The G for Gable option isn't telling it that you want a gable roof, but that you want that section of the roof to be a gable, or not. The reason the roof in your second post didn't work was because you were trying to make one with four gables!

The sequence you want is

GABLE

YES

GABLE

NO

GABLE

YES

GABLE NO

And that should get you want.

Your your extensions you'll need to repeat the process to create a second roof.

dJE

Hi Danellis,

Thanks for answering my post. I tried your suggestion and I still can´t draw my roof the way I want. If you see the pictures (my second post) can you PLEASE (I beg you) write down how to do it. Believe me I wouldn´t ask if I didn´t try first 100 times but unfortunately with no luck.

Thanks

The G for Gable option isn't telling it that you want a gable roof, but that you want that section of the roof to be a gable, or not. The reason the roof in your second post didn't work was because you were trying to make one with four gables!

The sequence you want is

GABLE

YES

GABLE

NO

GABLE

YES

GABLE NO

And that should get you want.

Your your extensions you'll need to repeat the process to create a second roof.

dJE

Well ,

I finally did it. I maaged to draw the roof the way I want it to look like. Of course it is all explained really good in “Mastering Autocad Architecture “ book. The trick is to convert the roof to roof slab and then to trim parts you don´t want. Yes!

final roof.png

That looks geat, well done, miroslav_s.

Sorry I wasn't able to come back with more detailed instructions.

dJE