Tutorial: Converting 3D to 2D easily

tzframpton

I figured i'd go ahead and start contributing.... i know there's a lot of questions regarding 3D - 2D conversions, so here is how I do it. if there's a better way to do this tutorial, then PM me and i'll edit it with creditbility where deserved. okay, let's get started.

Here is the 3D model I will be using today, a patio with some chairs. I will flatten this 3D object to a 2D drawing where I will be able to dimension and edit when done.

05.jpg

Okay lets start with the view you want, in 2D shademode. for this model, i've chosen the Front view. *NOTE: be careful your 3D object is lined perfectly with standard Views, i'll explain later.*

04.jpg

Now, select all objects. In the menu, go to Express --> Modify --> Flatten Objects.

Remove hidden lines? : No or Yes (this just keeps or omits hidden lines. to see the difference, simply change shademodes from 2D to Hidden, and you'll see exactly how it will finish. if you want to show hidden lines, then Do Not remove hidden lines.)

*NOTE: if you do not have Express Tools (ET) installed, pop in your CD, it comes with AutoCAD*

09.jpg

Now you can see it successfully flattened the 3D object when I 3DOrbit around it.

10.jpg

Here is the difference between keeping and omitting hidden lines......

Keep Hidden Lines:

11.jpg

Omit Hidden Lines:

16.jpg

To start editing your newly flattened object, you might have to Explode it, to release connecting lines. depending on how complex the 3D object, you might be editing awhile. ;-) NOTE: one thing to remember when flattening an object, is all lines are flattened, so if you have repeated lines, you'll be deleted a lot of lines. if you have ET installed, use the OVERKILL command to bring everything back to a single line, be careful that you have plenty of computer power and not many programs running, it takes awhile sometimes. ;-)

13.jpg

When you've prepped the drawing to your liking, start dimensioning - it's still to scale. and that's it!

17.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• papagyi

• tzframpton

• aisu

• nagesh

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
haha thanks for the star.... i dont know about the DXB method so someone would have to take that one over. :lol:

Use the Plot command.

First you may have to use Plotter Manager, Add a plotter, Autodesk, DXB.

This will plot your 3D dwg to a flat dxb, the way you see it.

Can you re-post the pics please

wow, old thread. Don't use this method anymore... search the forum for the FLATSHOT command. there's a tutorial on it in here as well... it's a much better method. in fact, I wouldn't even use this form of flattening a solid anymore. :)

wow, old thread. Don't use this method anymore... search the forum for the FLATSHOT command. there's a tutorial on it in here as well... it's a much better method. in fact, I wouldn't even use this form of flattening a solid anymore. :)

True, but FLATSHOT is only available in 2007 and up. Anyone using 2006, or before, will still need to use this old method.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DXB means... .This method is autocad default plotter output.First you can add with added plotter wizard from your system plotter(must add in autocad plotstyle mananger).This plotter extension is .dxb and you can give proper name.After you plot to file with dxb plotter,you must need to open new drawing.Next you can type "dxbin" in new drawing and you can choose your plot file.Then you can use "overkill" for all object to delete overlap line,arc...etc.And then,you can set drawing unit and limit.Your dxb drawing is need to scale with refrence option.Because this drawing can change all dimension.But they are all same scale original drawing propotion.You can know any dimension from your original drawing.Enjoy it !

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...