Selecting objects off screen with dragbox?

Daf

Ok, so my problem is that I can only select objects that are shown on screen on the second click.

For instance, I'm using the green select box (dragging right to left) to select a large amount of items in a really tight spot, (between 2 parallel and horizontal lines only 3mm apart. My problem is that I can zoom in on the right hand side, select the lower right hand corner, zoom out, zoom into the top left corner and select. It'll only select what's shown on screen, which is literally 3 out of 1000 items.

Is there a variable to allow the selecting every object in the select box, with no relation to zoom levels or panned areas?

Cheers.

not to my knowledge.

I usually do the selection with the full area showing and then zoom in to deselect (shift-click) the items I don't want. Either that or use QSELECT if appropriate.

That's disappointing. That's all well and good, if a bit annoying, but when it comes to trimming in that gap too.. Painstaking!!

Is this a bug in 2012, or has it always been this way?

Its been around for as long as I can remember.

You used to be able to select the last object whether it was on screen or not. I remember that changing to being only the last object on screen but I can't remember when - and not really relevant here either! :)

• 4 years later...

There is still PICKADD = 1, and select more than once. PICKADD must be set to 1 in order to ADD to a selection set.

Argggg. Even I din't notice this thread is 5 years old.

• 3 months later...

I have W7 and it works fine. When you say you can't get it to work what does that refer to, installing 2017.1.1 or getting the off screen selection to work?

well I got it to work, I found out the issue I was having was that I was trying to manually update when I have the "Autodesk Desktop App", when I first opened it I had 11 updates that needed to be installed.