How do I rotate view in model space?

Jay Hatfield

Is there an easy way to rotate my drawing 90 degrees clockwise in model space, but leave it in it's orginal view in paper space. The reason is for drawing elevations - north, south, east, west from construction lines pulled from a plan. I've tried using UCS and was able to rotate, but it won't let me copy objects after doing so and is confusing.

Thanks

Using the viewcube will change your modelspace perspective, but not the UCS, and as long as your paperspace viewport is locked, it will continue to display the perspective in which it is locked. If you want to work in your modelspace from different perspectives then change your orthogonal views by using your VIEWS toolbar, or VIEWS palette on the ribbon.

Tip - I like to set ucsfollow to '1' so it automatically rotates the view in model space when you change the ucs via views on the ribbon. This is helpful when rotating the ucs to unusual angles.

• Like 1

i figured out that much...if i type in the command UCS -> new -> 3point and rotating to designated view and after that clicking "SAVE" seems to be working. Was hoping somebody could elaborate and maybe even give me a simpler way to do it, would help...Thanks

after you turn viewcube on then what? I'm not trying to view in perspective. I'm trying to rotate the drawing 90 degrees to pull construction lines for elevations, without jeopardizing other layers that are off

If you have the viewcube up then there are 2 semi circular arrows between 'N' & 'E'. if you click one the view rorates 45 deg in the direction of the arrow. Alteratively type 'UCS' 'z' then type in the rotation angle you want. Or type 'UCS' 'ob' and selct an object in the drawing and the UCS rotates to the angle of the object. To be honest there are loads of different ways of rotating the ucs you will just have to try them to see what best suits you.

Going back to your original thread, you said after you rotated the UCS you couldn't copy objects. How did you rotate the UCS?

after you turn viewcube on then what? I'm not trying to view in perspective. I'm trying to rotate the drawing 90 degrees to pull construction lines for elevations, without jeopardizing other layers that are off

I don't understand way you need to rotate in order to create constuction lines. Construction lines can go in any direction.

• 11 years later...