Help Please - How can I get my mouse wheel to zoom and pan in ACAD 2010? Thanks

Davidbrittain11

Hi Folks,

My laptop died recently and I had to get a new one then reinstall my AutoCAD 2010 software. Trouble is the mouse wheel no longer zooms or, when held down, pans any more. I have spent the last couple of hours trying to sort this but to no avail - nothing happens when I use the mousewheel at all. SO frustrating as I use this all the time!

Any tips on what to do to resolve this would be HUGELY appreciated - many thanks in advance. I run Windows 7 Pro OS and the mouse is a fairly basic HP model with two buttons and a wheel. (maybe I need to upgrade the thing...!)

Thanks, Dave

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davidbrittain11

• SLW210

• RobDraw

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MBUTTONPAN

Controls the behavior of the third button or wheel on the pointing device.

Check this out...http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=4499706&linkID=9240617

Hi ReMark,

Thanks for your reply but tried that one - changing the value to both 1 and 0 - no effect at all. Its as if the mouse itself is dead but it works perfectly fine in every other respect. I will try the link though - many thanks.

ReMark,

I have looked at the link you gave - relevent, thanks, but not helpful asthere is no drop down list when I go to the 'buttons' tab in the 'mouseproperties' dialogue, as it says there should be! So I went to the link at thebottom of the page, changed the MBUTTONPAN value to 0 as it said, then beneaththat it says:

'If the MBUTTONPAN system variable is set to 0, and the problem persists,try restoring a valid acad.mns menu file from the installation CD forthe Autodesk® product'.

Any idea what that means I need to do?? Some of these instructions assume weare all IT guru's I think. I have no idea what that means I need to try to dobut I will stick in the CD and see what I can make happen! Thanks again.

Hi,

There are no options to set 'autoscroll' in Windows 7 Pro. All I get under the 'wheel' tab when I am in 'mouse properties' is two options dealing with the amount that vertically scrolls, nothing else! It seems like everyone else has an autoscroll option which might resolve this.

I just think I'll have to try a newer mouse. Trying to get an updated driver for this old HP one to see if that might work has proved a challenge for the last 30 mins as well. Bang goes a mornings proper work....!

the mouse is a fairly basic HP model with two buttons and a wheel. (maybe I need to upgrade the thing...!)

Thanks, Dave

Is this a non-branded / cheap-*** mouse by any chance? :)

The brand of mouse is mentioned, was there a particular need to use foul language?

Thanks for the replies everyone. Problem still persists but its weird - I take the mouse to work, plug it into my work Dell laptop which runs AutoCAD 2010 and it pans and zooms with the wheel no problem.

Then I bring it home, plug it into my home laptop (Dell again) running AutoCAD 2010 and the wheel is next to useless!

So its not that its a cheap **** mouse! Its something else that I can't work out. Frustrating. I will keep looking at solutions.

Check the value for your ZOOMFACTOR? Valid values are in the range of 3 to 100, with 100 being the highest value available.

Edited by Dadgad

Hi,

Changing ZOOMFACTOR does nothing I'm afraid. Mousewheel still useless and I now had no idea how to get the damn thing panning and zooming. Why does it work when I plug it into my work laptop running the exact same AutoCAD version, but not on my home laptop??

The work laptop is running Windows XP Pro whereas I run Windows 7 Pro which might be the cause. But how to rectify that?? No idea - will keep looking!

Thanks

Dave

Hi SLW210,

Thanks for the reply - yes, I tried the mouse tool re. the link you posted but there is no option for choosing AutoCAD as the application with which to tailor the mouse button/wheel clicks so it's of no help.

I run Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit so I can only presume that's the problem here but when I try to download an updated mouse driver I get a message that the current driver is the most up to date and that everything is fine - which it is not!! Grrrrr

So back to square one. Very frustrating but par for the course with IT......!!

I use X Mouse Button Control just for AutoCAD, are you following the instructions? You just click Add and browse to the application file (ACAD.exe).

SLW210,

Many thanks but, as ever with IT, its not straighforward it seems. I clicked 'add' to try to browse to 'ACAD.exe' but there is no such file located in any of the folders under the AutoCAD 2010 folder in the C;Programs directory. I can see nothing with that file extension but it must be somewhere!! I have unhidden

So where is ACAD.exe located exactly so I can browse to it?? Sorry - not that up with this sort of stuff and its never as easy as it should be!

Thanks loads,

Dave

Hey David, did you ever check to see if your home laptop is running any 3rd party mouse software? I have seen this mess up AutoCAD before. I can almost bet that it is not Win7 doing this. I have a new Dell laptop running Win7 Home Prem 64-bit and my mouse works just fine. Honestly it should be plug and play. Did it ever work with this laptop? Have you tried another mouse just to eliminate a hardware problem? Sorry you are having just a time :(

Hi F700ES,

Thanks for the post and your sympathies! This is doing my head I must admit. Yes it should be plug and play like everything else has been with my new Dell laptop and win 7 but not this issue. I tried plugging in a dell Mouse my wife uses which pans and zooms fine on her Acer machine when running the AutoCAD LT2008 vesion she has, but again, plug it into mine and - nothing.