Excel Database and AutCAD

Calen Anderson

Good day,

This is my first post after hours of searching. I have bits and pieces related to my question, but nothing substantial. I have a database with ~350 computer's physical coordinates within the building (actually not yet, but a field to fill) and all related info for that computer. Is it possible to have an object for each computer, and have that object's coordinates within the drawing updated when the database is updated? Or anything that can help with IT's management of these assets? The long-term goal is to have the maintenace people to be able to see where an asset(computer) is physically within the building. We will soon be using HP Service Manager 7 which utilizes a database with said information. I apologize if this is in the wrong thread. I have only fiddled with AutoCAD and am now jumping in head-first. I have only about 30 days to figure this out. Thanks!!! (patience with the Noob :D )

Ok. I found this from another site's forum....

"You would need 2 VBA apps:

1. From AutoCAD open and update Excel or a direct update of a csv file.

2. From Excel open and update Autocad or use Open Design software.

If it is just block refs this should be fairly easy if the block name is unique or you save the object handle in excel. WARNING: If a drawing has to be recovered the handle could change or the block name could change!!

This is why my blocks have a Record Number Attribute that is unique for each block insertion."

Sound correct? But I'm not that good at code(VBA).

Ok. I found this from another site's forum....

"You would need 2 VBA apps:

1. From AutoCAD open and update Excel or a direct update of a csv file.

2. From Excel open and update Autocad or use Open Design software.

If it is just block refs this should be fairly easy if the block name is unique or you save the object handle in excel. WARNING: If a drawing has to be recovered the handle could change or the block name could change!!

This is why my blocks have a Record Number Attribute that is unique for each block insertion."

Sound correct? But I'm not that good at code(VBA).

I would forget about the VBA stuff it may not be around long. I also would not suggest Excel as it's not a database for records. Now either look at the DBConnect commands in AutoCAD or a good Facility Management application. I have done demos on what you are wanting but with AutoCAD MAP3D and databases.

Maybe start by using Ms Acess which will convert your excell but has a look and fell like excel in simple mode then using Map3d you can do lots of enquiry stuff and have Autocad display.

• 3 months later...

i have link my excel spreadsheet to atuocad object, but my problem is that i cannot update my excel file from within autocad. the excel file is opened in

READ ONLY mode in dbconnect data view window.how can i changed to edit mode

In Excel yoiu need to save the file(s) spreadsheets as a shared file. Depending on what version of MS Office as to how, google it or check in the help for the correct way. Then reopen AutoCAD and make the connections.

One can link a spreadsheet and a drawing via the DATALINK feature. This has been around since AutoCAD 2008.

In Excel yoiu need to save the file(s) spreadsheets as a shared file. Depending on what version of MS Office as to how, google it or check in the help for the correct way. Then reopen AutoCAD and make the connections.

i tried it but again the same thing i.e the excel spredsheet open in read only mode. i am using ms office 2010 64bit and autocad 2010 64bit. also i am using the DBCONNECT MANAGER to link my excel spreadsheet to my drawing object, for which i need to edit the excel table from within autocad.

i tried it but again the same thing i.e the excel spredsheet open in read only mode. i am using ms office 2010 64bit and autocad 2010 64bit. also i am using the DBCONNECT MANAGER to link my excel spreadsheet to my drawing object, for which i need to edit the excel table from within autocad.

When you use the ODBC Data Source Administrator make sure you check that read only is not checked.

odbc_manager.jpg

thanks for the jpg, but still i am unable to edit the excel data in autocad pls guide me further.

thanks for ur help

also i have tried a number of things, i possible can u pls send me a video of the full procedure tried by u so as to get my excel spreadsheet in edit mode in autocad.

i would be grateful if u can do that for me thanks.

I no longer use MS Office on this workstation so there is no way I can make a video of it. Try a search on YouTube there may be some there.

i have gone thru the net and it say that it is not possible to get excel in edit mode using the odbc driver as it the shot coming of the odbc driver for excel database,

You will not be able to make changes in the table; the ODBC driver for Excel doesn't support it.

This subject is usually discussed in the autocad.connectivity newsgroup.

I should clarify "You will not be able to make changes in the table;

the ODBC driver for Excel doesn't support it.". The Excel driver does

not support making changes row-by-row in a displayed table.

do u agree with this or it is possible to edit excel table in dbconnect view

i have gone thru the net and it say that it is not possible to get excel in edit mode using the odbc driver as it the shot coming of the odbc driver for excel database,

You will not be able to make changes in the table; the ODBC driver for Excel doesn't support it.

do u agree with this or it is possible to edit excel table in dbconnect view

I would agree with the current versions of software, years ago with older versions of Autocad, MS Office and Windows it worked. Excel is not a DataBase so do not expect it to work as a database. The last time I had it working was with AutoCAD 2008 with Office 97 on an Windows 97 workstation, and then it was limited to the number of rows in the table.