AutoCAD "Classic" View

This may of been asked on here before but I can't seem to find the answer.

A couple of weeks ago we had a trainer in at work to show us the differances between AutoCAD 2008 and AutoCAD 2012 ( Company I'm at are thinking of updating )

All of our AutoCAD's are set to the classic view rather than the Windows style ribbon view

The trainer said that we needed to learn the Ribbon layout as after the 2013 release AutoCAD was no longer available with classic view. Is this correct?

I e-mailed AutoCAD but have not had a responce.

Personally having used both views in the past I find the classic view quicker to use as I have all the buttons I need down one side, which seems to fit in better with my layout of working, rather than all the buttons at the top.

Anyone no if this is correct?

I don't think that is correct , so try the following .

This is a small icon in the right down corner and it looks like a steering wheel called ( Workspace Switching ) and you should find the Autocad classic space within that list of options

Good luck .

Tharwat

you might want to check out nanocad then. Full CAD in the classic menu still. www.nanocad.com I sort of have a hybrid when I use AutoCAD, ribbon and toolbars. Doesn't take long to get used to the ribbon though

you might want to check out nanocad then. Full CAD in the classic menu still. www.nanocad.com I sort of have a hybrid when I use AutoCAD, ribbon and toolbars. Doesn't take long to get used to the ribbon though

Hi ,

This is the first time I hear about this nanocad , so would you please tell me as much as you can about this free software please ?

Thanks

There is another thread that deals with NanoCAD. Why rehash the same info here?

If the optional workspace called "AutoCAD Classic" is not going to be available AFTER 2013 what are you worried about? Get 2013 when it comes out and you have a year to learn about the Ribbon.

Work in classic view only. Don't have the ribbon however, other programs I use the ribbon.

Will become easier after you use the ribbon for awhile. Getting used to the ribbons, starting to like 'em too.

Your "trainer" is almost certainly only speculating about the future of the Classic workspace, and/or using "scare tactics" to have you invest in additional training to his own benefit.

IMO, Contextual Ribbon states for modify operations are only advantage the Ribbon has over a well customized "Classic" workspace.

Hi ,

This is the first time I hear about this nanocad , so would you please tell me as much as you can about this free software please ?

Thanks

As ReMArk says, there is a tread on nanocad alreay, and their website will inform you.

I know with the ribbon it was weird to start with, but you soon get used to it. As I say presently I have both ribbon & toolbars & menubar active in AutoCAD - A little lazy in tiding my menus. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Auto Desk will replace the toolbars at some point im sure, it took me a while to get used to the ribbons but now i like them better than the toolbars, the easiest way to get used to the ribbons is to display the Menus above the ribbons while you learn them.

Also if you go to the View tab on the ribbon and go all the way to the last panel on the right you can display the toolbars that you use as you get used to the ribbons. This way you can still see your familiar routines while learning them in the ribbon.

Once you get used to the ribbons and begin to customize them they get easier to use and faster.

To make the Menus appear above the ribbon go to your quick launch bar at the top and click the down arrow on the right, the menu selector is at the bottom.

Honestly, you should really learn to use keyboard shortcuts instead of toolbars and ribbons. This will speed up your work and then it really won't matter what version you use. Sure you might have to change a few settings in the acad.pgp file (or the aliasedit command) when you start using a new version but once that is done you are set. I use the ribbon for seldom used commands and that is about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using autocad 2013 for the last week in the AutoCAD classic setting with only toolbars, so dont fret the toolbars are not disabled, i dont think they'll ever disable the toolbars being thats what everyone pre-2010 used and will be use to.

Cheers,

• 2 months later...
Honestly, you should really learn to use keyboard shortcuts instead of toolbars and ribbons. This will speed up your work and then it really won't matter what version you use. Sure you might have to change a few settings in the acad.pgp file (or the aliasedit command) when you start using a new version but once that is done you are set. I use the ribbon for seldom used commands and that is about it.

I agree with you. Having recently switched companies I moved from Ribbons to Classic which was a big change and forced me to familiarize myself with shortcut commands and I work far quicker now. Having settled in I am moving back to Ribbons simply because I 'd like to keep current but like you I try use it only for seldom used commands.