add 300 mm of material around a body

Karltom

Hi!

I am new to Solidworks and normally works in ProE, but an subcontractor has done some models in Solidworks and the surface gets error when importing to ProE. So now I try to solve a problem in Solidworks and I do not get it to work.

I have a complex body with many small surfaces and around this surface I would like to create a layer of 300 mm around the outside of the body. (It is pattern for moulding and I would like to calculate the volume of a 300 mm layer of moulding sand).

I have tried the offset but that gets an errors and I have tried to scale up the body but since it is not completely filled the hole is also scaled up and give me an unknown faktor in my calculation. I have try to Knit the surface and then use the thicken or offset but that also giv me errors.

Anyone have a good ide how to create the 300 mm layer around a body?

/Tommy

without seeing the body i can't tell you for sure BUT if you have an curvature to the body it will limit the offset distance. For instance if you had a cube with an external radius of 1mm. When you offset that radius 300mm you now have a 301mm radius. If this was an internal corner(or some curvature that is concave) it can only be offset until it no longer exists. That same example of a 1mm fillet can only approach a 1mm offset until that surface no longer exists.

does this make sense? Im not sure i can be much more help without actually seeing some of the curvature.

Hi!

I think that is the problem because I have surfaces with all types of curveture. See attach picture.

I have done a small work around by using mold and scale I have been able to get an approx value for the 300 mm layer but there most be better way.

pic.jpg