Oblique,isometric,auxillary views. How to ?

Grafilthy

Gentlemen , Im in a digital design class and we are learning Acad 2012. Im having troublewith some drawings that want 3 views to them. I kinda get the idea about extending xlines either up or down from the drawing to project the respective view. Having trouble with the right side view . Basically are there any tutorials that show step by step process of projecting the different views. ??

I apologize if this is a redundant post , I did forum search for this but not many related results. Any help is much appreciated.

Graf.

Autocad 2012 introduced the VIEWBASE function which will automatically extract any or all eight standard perspectives, four orthogonal and four isometric. It will create a 2D drawing of whatever solids are in modelspace, from whichever perspectives you have selected and you will generate and view them in your paperspace, but you do not use a viewport for those.

Start here

Edited by Dadgad

In the upper left corner of your modelspace you will find your VIEWPORT CONTROLS. You should spend a few minutes exploring those, you will be glad you did. If you want to you can set up multiple viewports in modelspace which will show all of the views you wish to have represented.

Sounds like you are asking about orthographic projection even though your title doesn't mention it. Go to Youtube and search on "orthographic projection".

Any good technical drawing book will have the information you seek. I recommend Technical Graphics Communication by Bertoline and Webe. Basic Technical Drawing by Spencer and Engineering Drawing by French are two more.

Start with the basics: top, front and right side views. When you have that figured out you can start adding isometrics, oblique and auxiliary views.

Another option would be to skip all the 2D stuff and jump right into 3D. Create you 3D objects then use one of four available methods for extracting the required 2D views AutoCAD 2012 gives you.

Sounds like you are asking about orthographic projection even though your title doesn't mention it. Go to Youtube and search on "orthographic projection".

I would have to agree.

Grafilthy, this is old school, the way we did it on the board so many years ago.

To create a side view once you've got the front and top view create an XLine @ 45 degrees from someplace (upper right) on the front view. Now create XLines from features of the top view geometry extending to the 45 degree line. Where these line intersect draw XLines down. Now you draw XLines from features of the front view extending to the "dropped down" lines. Now you can construct your right view geometry from those intersection points.

BTW - this is really old school.

Now, create

Gentlemen , Im in a digital design class and we are learning Acad 2012... ...Basically are there any tutorials that show step by step process of projecting the different views. ??

As mentioned - nearly any drafting book has this information, but the obvious question, "What about asking your instructor?'

Well, what do you have to show us? Please post an image.

Ok here is an example of what im stuck on .. we are supposed to take the image and give 3 views w dimensions. Dimensioning is easy . Creating the 3 views is where im having trouble..

fig 8-89 3 view w dims.jpg

Attach the dwg file of what you have been able to complete so far so that others can see where you are having difficulty.

BTW - this has nothing to do with the title of your thread.

Sounds to me like the real assignment was to create orthgraphically projected views.

Take a good look at the image. Now take a piece of paper and quickly sketch a rough outline (ignore any of the features that punch through the object for the time being) and sketch out the top, front, and either the left or right side view. Got it? Now transfer those views to CAD using the supplied dimensions. Post the results here.

Take a good look at the image. Now take a piece of paper and quickly sketch a rough outline (ignore any of the features that punch through the object for the time being) and sketch out the top, front, and either the left or right side view. Got it? Now transfer those views to CAD using the supplied dimensions. Post the results here.

Heres my front view construction of image. How would i represent the area i circled in red. the iso view shows it as a fillet radius of .20 . Curve or straight line for front view?

8-89 GMccullough.dwg

You are going to need some practice imagining objects in orthographic views. I would suggest getting some everyday objects, IE: coffee mug, remote control, fork, etc., and start holding them directly in front of your eyes. Take a coffee mug and look at it straight on with the shape of the handle showing and sketch that as the front view, then move it so you are looking into the cup for the top view, finally move it back to the front view and then rotate it 90 and that will be the side view looking at the handle and side of the mug. Sketch each of those view in their logical locations. Try other objects. Maybe get some clay and cut some shapes closer to your exercise and go through viewing it the same way as described above. Good luck.

A couple of small point but why are you drawing it at 1/100? It's much easier to draw at 1/1 then set a plotting scale later. Also the outer radius on the top plan is incorrect. From the drawing above it looks like it should be 100.

Tip. When you start drawing the elevation just draw the face nearest to you first rather than trying to draw the whole thing. When there are so many lines it's easy to get confused. Once you have the closet face it should be easier to imaging what the rest should look like. Keep us updated.