Coordinate issue

Michael213

Good morning

I am currently doing some MEP mark ups (not my area of expertise) and have been asked to add in some man holes etc. They have given me a list of northing and easting coordinates.

Now, I understand the whole concept of coordinate points, X and Y points etc etc etc.

My issue is that even when I insert the points they have given, just using line for example it won't work.

This is not something I am ever really used to using, I would normally just use distances from existing points to set out where I would like something, using dimensions.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

They have given me a list of northing and easting coordinates.

Now, I understand the whole concept of coordinate points, X and Y points etc etc etc.

First thing to point out is that eastings are equivalent to X, and northings are equivalent to Y. So make doubly sure that you get things round the right way :shock:

Then when you enter coordinates, there are two ways of entering the data. One is absolute coordinates and the other is relative coordinates. So make sure you have got the correct one, then you should be good to go. Enter the coordinates x,y on the command line. You can always ID a point/end of line to make sure it is the correct coordinate. :D

Ok, basically I need to plot the points of the manholes using the coordinates they have given me. I have a rough idea of their location, so when I attempt to input the cordinates given using the line command it decides to draw a line half way across my model space. To me, i'm not sure that's correct.....

One possibility is that your UCS doesn't correspond to the coordinates you've been given. Another possibility is that you have an xref, so the coordinates work in the original drawing but must be translated into the current one. It's hard to make a diagnosis without more information.

Have you checked the units are the same? i.e is the model drawn in mm with the co-ords in m.

If you could post a small extract of the the model with a couple of the co-ords we may get the answer quicker. it's very difficult trying do this blind. If you can drop a mark down where you think the manholes should be it would help.

Ok. Assuming everything is set correctly. If the object is in your model then use 'move', select the object you want to move. For the base point select the point on the object that represents the surveyed positioned, for the second point type in the co-ord into the command line (e.g. 100.325,145.354) and press return. I've assumed the orientation of the object is correct in the model otherwise you will need to rotate it accordingly.

Alternatively draw a polyline by typing in the co-ordinates into the command line e.g. type pline, enter co-ord as above, enter co-ord as above, etc.etc. then move your objects afterwards.