Script file to move text to new layer

jzookcaduser

Hello,

I'm really new to script files and I have a issue with about 250 drawings.

The client had put the text on several different random layers and now wants the

text all on one layer. I know I can select everything in the drawing, in the property pulldown, select text and switch layers. I would like to do this through a script file but I cant get past the properties drop down. Is there a way to select only text for changing through a script file?

Thanks!

Its not easy (even possible) to use dialogue boxes with scripts.

I was about to suggest that you use the action recorder but the more I look at it, the more I understand why people don't use it.

So back to your problem. You can change an objects layer with a script using the CHANGE command. HOWEVER you still have to select all the text. This can be done with a simple SSGET lisp statement but I am not the person to show you what is required as I have forgotten. I am not aware of a way of making a selection from the command line which is what you require to use a script.

FWIW, I would use QSELECT to select all the text and then use the properties but I think your way probably saves a few key strokes. Old habits die hard.

Dave,

Thanks for the info, it was helpful and gave me a good jumping off point. The dialogue box was in the way and I was just trying to by-pass it perhaps I will try the action recorder just to see what happens.

Thanks again.

John