Sketch Equations (sorry another n00b question)

Goomba

I swear in Solidworks 2011 I could drop down on the dimension box and click add equation and then click on another dimension in the sketch and create an equation using it?

Now it is no longer there.. I can type "D1@Sketch1" / 2 which will create a simple equation but it doesnt remain as an equation it just changes the value to the answer of the equation, if I change the dimension referenced this one doesnt update.

Same thing happens if I try to do it in the Equation box.

:x

Is there something I need to turn on to get equations to actually be equations and not calculators?!

Thanks in advance :oops:

Try starting the equation with the equal sign (=).

I am new too to SW so I could be wrong. Sorry, I can't test the solution right now.

That works! Thanks!

I am sure it was like a drop down in the dimension window where you had to choose equation before, and then could click on the dimension you wanted to use rather than type it out.

Yes JD like that!

See below screenshot of what I am seeing, notice no drop down like where you have the green arrow pointing to in your example.

cadtutorexample120330.jpg

You don't have to type it out. Just put the = sign in and click on the dimension you want to use. You can write your equations right in the text box and use any dimensions you want as long as they are visible.