Coordinate Points Problem...

petryad

Hi guys..i'm new in max. I have basic question and sorry with my english, hope i can

explain it clear enough.

Sometimes before making any model, i use assist lines to give better result.

Then i can start modeling using any primitives.

But why everytime i try to place primitives object's coordinates onto assist lines,

they always placed up differently although each points are already at the same number?

I can always see that problem with 3-5 zooms

Is anyone can help me please?

Thanks

Pic 2.JPG

Ok I think i'll just use simple spline to make it easier to me to explain..

Maybe this will look stupid o:)

I created line in here and dragged its pivot to the left edge. Then i cloned another one and rotated 45'.

Next i moved it to the first line edge using snap toggle.

See what happen with the pivot. Already the same x,y,z coordinate number but still end up in different place.

And basicly this my problem is....

Any help please....?

Pic 1.JPG

Ok, if I understand correctly, you are saying the endpoints of the lines are at the same coordinate location but the pivots are at different locations, correct?

You should not confuse the pivot location and the endpoint location. They are two totally different things. The endpoint locations are absolute. When you snap two lines or objects together by their endpoints, they will be precise and correct, but you can move the pivots anywhere you want. So don't worry about where the pivot is, in relation to the endpoint, it's not really important. Unless you need it to be right at the endpoint for some reason. :unsure:

In my case, i do need each of these red line edges gizmos to remain where they are (Pic A), so i can either rotate and move'em when needed.

Moreover to make the plane vertex snapped into every line edges perfectly (ex: Pic B). I just don't get it, somehow they always end up like this (Pic C and C01). This will cost me a hard time when snap something to it, rotate etc.

I might still be able to just snap'em the way they are and keep move on (Pic D)...but unless this is the only way that max has,

i'll still wondering if there's better way to do it right...:(

Pic A.jpg

Pic C.jpg

Pic B.jpg

Pic D.jpg

Pic C01.jpg

I think you're getting too caught up in where the pivot point is in relation to the object. It doesn't really matter unless you've absolutely got to have it right at the endpoint. If that is in fact the case, then just move the pivot to the endpoint.

1. Activate your Snaps Toggle

2. Open the Grid and Snap Settings

3. Set "Pivot" and "Endpoint" active

4. Go to the "Hierarchy" panel

5. Select "Affect Pivot Only"

6. Choose "Select and Move"

7. Move your cursor to the center of the Gizmo until you see a small circle appear at the intersection of all 3 axis

8. Click and drag the Gizmo over to the endpoint until it snaps in place