separating layers

grouch032

the same file that i'm trying to plot has it's own template that i want to use, but it's attached to a different layer. so when i try to move or rotate the template, it moves the other objects. They all have colors but aren't connected to the same layers of their colors. how do I isolate the layers so i can make it's own layer and manipulate it on it's own?

I want you to see what i'm dealing with.... how can I show you want i'm trying to do?

I'm a landscape designer and i'm trying to print this out so i can work on it. it's been a while since i've used CAD so i'm a little rusty. I figured out thanks to you how to put view what i want in layout, but right now i'm trying to use the border and change it and the place the view that i would like to print out. that's basically it. Due the fact that i'm rusty, something that in my head should be a piece of cake is feeling like learning chinese in a day

i just want to isolate this from the rest of what it's attached too. it was a x-ref and they messed up the laying system. so when i click on it everything else on the screen lights up too

You can try attaching the drawing. If the file size is too large then you'll have to try zipping it.

Start by clicking on the "Go Advanced" button and at the next screen click on the Paper Clip icon.

Paper space viewports work best when all objects in model space are drawn to their full size. The viewport is assigned a scale.

Viewports should be placed on their own layers and it should be set to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager.

Viewports, once set up, should have their displayed "locked" so their scale is not inadvertently changed.

Viewports can be resized using their grips.

Viewports can be copied, moved, deleted and rotated.

It's sounds like the OP has an XREF that they want to manipulate. Perhaps the OP is not understanding that changes may need to be made within the XREF separately, or even to bind the XREF, explode and manipulate within the active drawing.

Hard to tell exactly.

well I found that i have my own templates. Now all i want to do is make sure that the size fits with the proper view in the paper space. I am slowing getting it together, i just want to print it out already. so i don't have to scale anything with the paper space? everything is to scale already. just place it in the viewpoint and adjust correctly?

the scale of the view is too big for the paper space that i'm using. it won't fit in properly and when i try to adjust the view within the paper space. it's not allowing me to. is that where i use "mview" and fix it?

MVIEW is used to create the viewport. Now that you have one you need to pick a scale that will still allow you to fit the entire drawing on whatever sheet size you are using.

What units are you working in and what scale did you first assign to your viewport that did not work?

Are you able to click on the drawing to highlite everything them right click and select open xref, if its not a xref then xploding will be the only way to take parts of the drawing away from it