Infected drawing

FIFTHTEXAS

Can anyone help please, i have been sent a building plan to use an an x-ref, have cleaned it up, purged it , exploded it, and yet it is stiil a large file size. i have even copied and pasted it into a fresh new drawing. have audit it

can anyone help. seems no blocks in it, ony 6 layers, basically there is not much in the drawing but is ahuge file for whats in it. any ideas?

can anyone tell me best way to delete unwanted layers, there are layers in a drawing that are not used, but when i try to delete them it wont let me. says something about defpoints, how can i delete layers that are not used.

might have a drawing just using 6 layers, but in layer manager there may be 20 how can i delete the ones not needed. some drawings i have had have had like 100 layers in them and i am only using 10, how can i get rid of them, tried purging, try to delete. whats best method?

i have a drawing from which to work from, a building plan, the actual drawing is a typical one storey factory.

having started to use the drawing as an x-ref, i am now finding my drawings are crashing, there is a problem with the drawing given to me, have purged it, cleaned it up best i can but there is something in the drawing that is making my cad freeze up, crash, something in there. how is best way to find out whats causing oit, no blocks in it, exploded everything, only has a few layers, cant see what wrong, so frustrating, can anyone advise?

Have you tried the commandline version of the Purge command? This is how ReMark suggests using it, and I have found it to be very helpful used this way. This is copied right from my commandline history. At the MANUSOFT website you can get the free shareware version of SUPERPURGE too, once again as per ReMark's post.

Type at the commandline .............

Command: -PURGE

Enter type of unused objects to purge

[blocks/Dimstyles/Groups/LAyers/LTypes/MAterials/MUltileaderstyles/Plotstyles/SH

apes/textSTyles/Mlinestyles/Tablestyles/Visualstyles/Regapps/Zero-length

geometry/Empty text objects/All]: r

Enter name(s) to purge :

Verify each name to be purged? [Yes/No] : n

Deleting registered application "ACAD_EXEMPT_FROM_CAD_STANDARDS".

Deleting registered application "ACAD_MLEADERVER".

Deleting registered application "AcLayerTools".

3 registered applications deleted.

Command:

-PURGE

Enter type of unused objects to purge

[blocks/Dimstyles/Groups/LAyers/LTypes/MAterials/MUltileaderstyles/Plotstyles/SH

apes/textSTyles/Mlinestyles/Tablestyles/Visualstyles/Regapps/Zero-length

geometry/Empty text objects/All]: a

Enter name(s) to purge :

Verify each name to be purged? [Yes/No] : n

Deleting block "*D64".

Deleting block "*D67".

Deleting block "A1-CON sheet".

3 blocks deleted.

No unreferenced layers found.

No unreferenced linetypes found.

No unreferenced text styles found.

No unreferenced shape files found.

Deleting dimension style "1".

Deleting dimension style "Standard".

2 dimension styles deleted.

Deleting mlinestyle "F200X10".

1 mlinestyle deleted.

No unreferenced plotstyles found.

Deleting table style "D.EX.".

1 table style deleted.

No unreferenced materials found.

No unreferenced visual styles found.

No unreferenced multileader styles found.

No unreferenced groups found.

Command: pp

PURGE

Command: _qsave

Command: AUDIT

Fix any errors detected? [Yes/No] : y

Auditing Header

Auditing Tables

Auditing Entities Pass 1

Pass 1 6000 objects audited

Auditing Entities Pass 2

Pass 2 6000 objects audited

Auditing Blocks

92 Blocks audited

Total errors found 0 fixed 0

Erased 0 objects

Then I would suggest changing your ISAVEPERCENT system variable at the commandline to '0' and saving again. This will give you as small and clean a save as you can hope for. Good luck.

-LAYDEL should get rid of them, but be careful, it will delete layers which have entities on them, not just the empty ones.

Make sure that all of your layers are unlocked and thawed, if you are trying to delete them.

Your drawing may be corrupted. No amount of purging will cure the problem. But, did you try running the AUDIT command to fix errors as seen near the end of the post above?

It will probably help you to get rid of all the unused scales in your scale list, and unused dimension and text styles.

There are two layers that cannot be deleted, Layer zero and layer defpoints. These two layers are required by the software. They should also never be drawn on as a matter of practicality.

Blocks, especially nested ones can hold on to several layers whether or not the blocks are used in your drawing, as long as the block definitions are still in the drawing.

I've gotten that type of behavior when there is attributes that are not associated with blocks in the XREF. If you have any, they will need to be changed to text or deleted.

After checking that out. You could try WBlocking the entire drawing. That will get rid of any possible stuff that may be empty and give you a fresh file with just the stuff you select.

Enter XREF at the commandline, and see what pops up, if the XREF DIALOG BOX opens. Detach anything that might be there and uncalled for. If you found some things there, then do the big purge treatment and audit again.