The REAL difference between AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT???

Guest EnvisionMan

Guest EnvisionMan

I have been using AutoCAD (full version) since the mid 90's (starting with AutoCAD 11) and am currently using v2008. However, I am going out on my own now, and need to buy my own seat. I can buy a 2012 seat (or 2013) for around $4000, or a AutoCAD LT version for around $1200. The local sales guy said the difference is minimal for what I do, but I want to be sure what I am getting.

So what I'd like some advice on is this... for what I do (see below), will I really see any major difference in the LT version? I'd love to save $3000 if I can.

Here is what I do currently... 100% 2-D drawings of house plans, layered in Model space, and displayed in multiple viewports in Paper Space. I will be working alone... no other computers in a network. I do not use X-refs (my drawings are small enough residential jobs that I don't use multiple dwg files). My largest drawings are usually no more than 10 pages, and the file sizes usually top out at 3MB. I don't use any scripts.

But... I have been using AutoCad full version for many, many years. Will I hate the LT interface? Will I still be able to customize my screen and menu bars and shortcut keys? Do I still have Express Tools? Same hatch commands and functionality? Same plot interface?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• BlackBox

• ReMark

• Bill Tillman

The things I notice most are lack of 3D and Lisp routines/scripts. Since you're 2D and don't use scripts - I think LT would suit you fine.

My suggestion would be for you to download the Free 30-Day Trial, and test for yourself.

IMO - You're going out on your own now, so all of the additional time spent doing each-and-every-step manually is now YOUR wasted time, and money. I cannot speak for anyone else, by the results of our workflow automatons, and customizations (which are not available to LT) save us a heck of a lot more than $4,000 each year. Just saying.

Good luck!

There is a big difference between $1,200 and $3,800, especially these days. But if you can swing it I would encourage you to get the full-blown copy of AutoCAD. The first thing you know one of your customers will need or request an isometric of something you're working on and then the difference in price will only be relevant to the amount of revenue you're losing with LT vs full version. That's easy to say because it's not my money you will be spending. But down the road if you need the full version I'm not sure how the dealers work an upgrade. You may end up paying for both versions unless they give you an upgrade deal on LT to full version.

just because somethings 2d doesn't mean you don't need functionality, in my experience, unless your just doing minor edits, looking around in the drawing and or plotting you'll need/want a full version.

You can view a comparison matrix of major features for the full and LT versions of AutoCAD at the AutoDesk website.

Take a look at Bricscad. It has about the same functionality as Autocad 2008, but at less than half the price of LT. It does lisp and vba too. Free 30 day trial, minus vba, too. I like it so well that I have no plans to upgrade Autocad again.

Having never used LT, this is purely conjecture. While we can all understand wanting to save a few bucks, in the long run, I would suggest getting the full version. Whether or not you are using the 3D capabilities yet, I would bet there will come a time when you want to. Renderman hit the nail right on the head! Avoid any buyer remorse, take it for a 30 day, totally free drive around the block, so that you know first hand if it is okay for you or not. While you are at it, you might as well download the full trial version of Autocad 2013 too, for all the same reasons, nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

..even chop pow ping slice and dice like AutoCAD LT.

That must be a new feature in the Express Tools. Either that or it's the sounds heard yesterday when the tornadoes ripped through your area!

Will someone ask Dan Quayle if tornado is spelled with an 'e'? At least tornadoes seems to be spelled with an 'e'.

No Express Tools in LT because they are a collection of LISPS. No LISP in LT.

If you need LISP, you need full AutoCAD or Briscad.

Gonna buck the trend here....look into spending the extra $1000 and get Autocad Architecture. The ability to use wall styles and smart doors and windows alone are worth their weight in gold! Just because it does 3D does not mean you have to use 3D. Beside the smart walls, doors and windows the Detail component manager is a real time saver and we all know time=money. I did home development a few years ago and we used acad arch and only used it for 2D designs and it really made a difference in the time we saved. I would give the 30 day demo a try and see how it does for you. Be warned it is a bit different than vanilla acad but if you are a seasoned vet to it then you should be ok. Good luck.

That must be a new feature in the Express Tools. Either that or it's the sounds heard yesterday when the tornadoes ripped through your area!
Man, those tornadoes were insane. Here's a picture that I took myself when I got home of an automotive shop that was leveled across the street from my house:

2012-04-03%2017.30.29.jpg

If you search Google you'll find raw videos of the tornadoes in action, especially if you search DFW, Bonnie View Rd, or Forney (all apart of Dallas County). They were very powerful and did an extensive amount of damage to our area. Third tornado I've been in, so we're quite used to them around here beings that we're in Tornado Alley.

Thank God we live in Florida... I'll take the risk of hurricanes, and storm surge (which we can leave well in advance of) over the other natural disasters any day! Saw this on the news last night... Specifically security cam video of a parking lot of semi trailers. One was lifted God knows how high, and was twirled around like a leaf in the wind.

My thoughts and prayers are with those affected.

FWIW - Give this post a look:

Try AutoCAD LT 2013 without Downloading or Installing!

6a00d8341bfd0c53ef0168e9afda36970c-piSome great news (as usual) was found in the April Edition of Autodesk Labs*Innovation Edge newsletter. http://labs.blogs.com/apr2012/innovation_edge.htm

6a00d8341bfd0c53ef016764aeda8a970b-piYou can try the brand spanking new AutoCAD LT 2013 Online Trial without having to download or installing anything. No, this is not a late April Fools joke. The AutoCAD LT 2013 is running on our servers allowing you a fast, free, and effortless way to check out the new release. You may only see the download trial option if the online trial is too popular or your connection is not fast enough.

You should Subscribe to Innovation Edge and stay on top of all the latest in technology from Autodesk Labs.

Cheers,

Shaan

btl?d=yIl2AUoC8zA btl?d=qj6IDK7rITs btl?d=sHskjighKVI

FpNLX9mTGuQ

More...

• 4 years later...

Hi EnvisionMan,

Wondering what you decided- Autocad or Autocad LT... or something else? I'm at a similar, almost identical fork in the road, and we do the same type of work.

Helen

Helen: I doubt you'll be hearing back from EnvisionMan any time soon. First, he posted as a guest (one and only post). Second, the thread dates from early 2012. All the activity in the thread took place over a two day span then completely stopped until you resurrected it.

My advice would be to either download the 30-day trail of LT or lease it on a monthly basis. Give it a shot then make your decision if it is the right software for you. Personally, I think full AutoCAD would be overkill.

• 2 weeks later...

I had LT, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

here are some things you cant do;

make dynamic blocks, load lisp programs, 3D, express tools, convert text to mtext so that you can background mask text.

here's a tip with Auto Cad resellers. i was told by one reseller this practice which AutoCAD didn't want me to know, and were very unhappy about me knowing about when they found out about it.

don't click on the link that the autocad reseller sends you to lock him as the provider for your software.

AutoDesk say this email they send out is to confirm that the reseller has done everything above and beyond for you and enables the reseller to to get higher priority for preparing your quote (or some b#ll***** like that)

the truth is the reseller that you click on gets (in Australia) a very big discount on the software by you choosing them and clicking on that link.

I found out the minimum they could sell it to me for (around $2000 Australian dollars) then chose the reseller who was going to pass on their secret discount to me.

so once you have it in writing that you will get it for the sum you wish, choose that reseller.

the others were between $2300 to well over $3500 for the same software.

not sure if they do the same in US of A but its worth enquiring around.

Edited by mvrcad
dedicationg the post