The REAL difference between AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT???

Guest EnvisionMan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• BlackBox

• ReMark

• Bill Tillman

Of course they get it at a lower price. It's no secret. That's business.
Well, it's not "good" business though. It's a known thing in the Autodesk reseller industry that these businesses must sign NDA's for. The info I know about was told to me after people switched industries or careers. Basically, how it works, Autodesk says if you make the first contact with a client and provide a quote, and can prove it, you can sell the software to that client at a highly discounted rate, while the other resellers now have to sell it at much higher rates. What this does is create a cut-throat environment between resellers. It's one thing to provide incentive with some added benefits or mild discounts being a reseller that makes first contact with a client, and then it's another thing to completely take away the competitions altogether. You have to allow the resellers to compete at bare minimum. The end users suffer in the long run because of it.

This info was given to me years ago. It may be different now, but from the poster above it sounds like it's still well in effect.

Just too pick up on a few points Autcad LT can create Dynamic blocks, it can view 3D just not create or edit 3D solids, surfaces etc. It can run Macro's and use Diesel (so some level of automation is possible, bit of a headache but possible)

I had LT, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

here are some things you cant do;

make dynamic blocks, load lisp programs, 3D, express tools, convert text to mtext so that you can background mask text.

here's a tip with Auto Cad resellers. i was told by one reseller this practice which AutoCAD didn't want me to know, and were very unhappy about me knowing about when they found out about it.

don't click on the link that the autocad reseller sends you to lock him as the provider for your software.

AutoDesk say this email they send out is to confirm that the reseller has done everything above and beyond for you and enables the reseller to to get higher priority for preparing your quote (or some b#ll***** like that)

the truth is the reseller that you click on gets (in Australia) a very big discount on the software by you choosing them and clicking on that link.

I found out the minimum they could sell it to me for (around $2000 Australian dollars) then chose the reseller who was going to pass on their secret discount to me.

so once you have it in writing that you will get it for the sum you wish, choose that reseller.

the others were between $2300 to well over $3500 for the same software.

not sure if they do the same in US of A but its worth enquiring around.

I dedicate this post to Marnie at Autodesk Australia for being so truthful and helpful with me ( can you detect my Aussie sarcasm?)

• 2 months later...