Drawing template won't insert in layout

amsmarle

Hi Everyone, I am using Autocad 2012,

I made a drawing frame template up in model space, then saved it into the DWT template folder, when I go into Layout and into insert to insert the template it will not show up.

I reloaded the DWT template back into model space and saved it as a DXF and I am able to insert the dxf template in Layout using the insert Block

I would like some help please in finding out why the DWT will not insert.

I can get the job done by using the dxf template but I would like to be able to insert the DWT template

Thanks for any help

Regards

Alan

save it as .dwg, I don't think you can insert .dwt, it is not a choice when using Insert command.

Maybe tell us why you want it to be a dwt file, what the goal is for that file.

Hi There, Rkent - (thanks for a speedy response)

Reason...? Only because when I click for a template it goes directly to DWT folder

Is using a DXf Template ok? I just tried the dxf format to see if it worked and it did, it got the job done but it would be good if I can use the correct method for inserting a drawing frame. I haven't used Acad for over 6 years, I'm retired now and just helping my son out

If I save it as a dwg where do I store it for regular use as a template?

Thanks again for the reply

Alan

save it as .dwg, I don't think you can insert .dwt, it is not a choice when using Insert command.

Maybe tell us why you want it to be a dwt file, what the goal is for that file.

I have a folder just for title blocks (.dwg) and I have a template file (.dwt) with all my settings for dims, text, layers, pagesetups, etc. The template name is set in options, files, template for qnew, so anytime I start a new drawing it grabs that template. The title block is xrefed into the template so when I start a new drawing the template brings in my settings and the title block is there as well. I also insert a block for the title block attribute text so again every new drawing will have everything I need to get going.

Whenever you use SAVE AS CTRL+SHIFT+S you have the ability to save your file as one of about a dozen different file types. One of those AutoCAD Drawing Template (*.dwt) is the standard used for templates in Cad. Give it a name you will remember, as you will be using it again. Then, like rkent said in the previous post, set that as your default QNEW template in your OPTIONS (right click in your commandline) > FILES > ........as shown in the image.

template setting.JPG

Thank you Dadgad and RKent for your replies,

Now this information is great, thank you. Now when I now start Autocad it starts with my configured drawing template settings.

So if while I am still in Autocad if I need to start another of my templates I just type 'QNEW' and away I go again.

However my original question is to do with Layout (Paperspace) and the insertion of a purpose made drawing frame, I explained that the only way I have been successful in doing this was to make my drawing frame a block and save it as a DXF. As RKent explained that insert mode in Layout will not work with .DWT. Yet in Layout/Insert there is buttons to click that say 'Layout from Template'. I can remember being able to insert my drawing frames into Layout (paperspace) quite easily, But as I have said It is 6/7 years since I last used Autocad..?. So Is making a block and saving as a DXF incorrect, I can explode the block after insertion to add my perameters etc

Thanks again for some great responses

Alan

Place the drawing frame in the layout tab (paper space) in the template (.dwt) if you want to insert "Layout from Template" into another layout tab.

I prefer to place my titleblocks on a Tool Palette for insertion, since I seldom start from a new template.

Hello Gent's, thank you for your replies,

I have already put the drawing frame in the templates folder as a (.DWT), I have already explained that the drawing frame will not Insert into the layout. RKent has previously explained that 'Insert mode in Layout' will not work with .DWT.

However I can get the drawing frame into the layout as a saved asa block and saved as .DXF and then in Layout using insert - block

My original question... was why can't the .DWT frame insert into the layout.... Rkent says that Insert won't work with a .DWT file?

Regards

Alan

Your drawing frame, title block, should be saved as a .dwg file. I say again, your title block drawing should be a .dwg file.

You can insert that into your .dwt file and use that for new drawings.

When you have an existing drawing then insert the .dwg file and not the .dwt file.

If you put the title lock in the layout of the .dwt then you can use design center to bring that layout into an existing drawing.

• 5 months later...

You should place your frame in the layout by using "copy(base)" and select from your modelspace (your basepoint and) what you want to be in your layout. Go to your paperspace and paste (CTRL +V) the objects when everything is in place the way you want it to be save your drawing as a .DWT. In the template you also set up your printer configuration and all other things like dimension styles and so on. So if you open a new drawing and you have selected the dwt to start up with properly like explained before, you have everything in place in your layout and won't have to manually place it every time you create a new drawing. Good luck

Hello Gent's, thank you for your replies,

I have already put the drawing frame in the templates folder as a (.DWT), I have already explained that the drawing frame will not Insert into the layout. RKent has previously explained that 'Insert mode in Layout' will not work with .DWT.

However I can get the drawing frame into the layout as a saved asa block and saved as .DXF and then in Layout using insert - block

My original question... was why can't the .DWT frame insert into the layout.... Rkent says that Insert won't work with a .DWT file?

Regards

Alan

Your drawing frame, title block, should be saved as a .dwg file. I say again, your title block drawing should be a .dwg file.

You can insert that into your .dwt file and use that for new drawings.

When you have an existing drawing then insert the .dwg file and not the .dwt file.

If you put the title lock in the layout of the .dwt then you can use design center to bring that layout into an existing drawing.

You can also INSERT from LAYOUT TAB into OLD Drawings.

Place the drawing frame in the layout tab (paper space) in the template (.dwt) if you want to insert "Layout from Template" into another layout tab.

I prefer to place my titleblocks on a Tool Palette for insertion, since I seldom start from a new template.

As stated before, in order to import a layout from you .dwt file, you need to have your stuff on a layout tab in the .dwt file.

See last two quotes, if the titleblock (drawing frame) is in the LAYOUT TAB of the .dwt, right click the Layout Tab of the drawing you are wanting the drawing frame and choose "From template...." and select the .dwt you wish to insert the Drawing Frame from.