[HELP] Convert Block to 3Dsolid

Pintoleite

Hello to all, I am new at forums, this is my first post, but i expect to remain here. I am an Autocad noob (started this year at college).

Our exercise was to create this Construction Detail in 3D using autocad, I made most of it but in the end i just made it using SketchUp and then converted to Autocad.

The problem is that my professor wants all the 3d stuff, 3DSOLIDS. But all there is in my model is BLOCKS. (i use cmd LIST to check).

Do you know how to convert these into 3Dsolids?

Its very important.

Thanks! BTW, i will leave attach the file so you can have a look at it better.

File Link: http://d.pr/mpyF

(If you are an Autocad pro and don't mind converting all those blocks to 3dsolid, that would be perfect, but i am here to learn too so an explanation is always welcome. I hope one day i can help around here:) )

PS: out of curiosity, i recorded most of the process and speeded it up:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pintoleite

• Cad64

• voverrr

• SLW210

How do you expect to learn Autocad if you go off and create the models in another program? Sort of defeats the whole purpose of taking the class, don't you think?

I actually expected someone to say that.

The thing is, we basically learn 2D only to make plans, blueprints etc... We then have a small learning on the 3D. I made most part of the model (about 70-80%) in Autocad using 3dsolid, but then, i decided to use Sketchup and make it from zero then convert to Autocad (don't ask me why). I can make this model again using only 3dsolids, but i'd have to start from scratch again, and I have other projects to work on so i don't have the time to be spending much time on this Autocad exercise.

These classes are part of our architecture course.

I'd love to learn 3d modeling, but not using Autocad. I am taking an intensive course on 3dsmax and Rhino. I've already mastered SketchUp (way before college). For me, Autocad will be used for 2D Technical Drawings only, 3D modeling will be done on 3dsmax and Rhino.

But the question remains, how do I convert these blocks into 3Dsolids?

Thanks!

Well, as far as I know, you can't. Not in Autocad anyway. If you Explode the blocks you will see they consist of Polyface Meshes.

There are other threads where this topic has been discussed before. Here is one of them which references a lisp routine that can sometimes be used for this purpose. But it is not always successful: http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?32592-How-to-Convert-Polyface-Mesh-to-Solid

mmm, I will have a look at that thread.

But, do you think its possible to open up the block, then trace the object over with 3dfaces, then convert it to 3d solid?

i know there is a cmd called CONVTOSOLID

PS: btw, what is it meant by LISP? i think my professor once referred to it, to what i understood was something related to programming right?

I already tried running CONVTOSOLID on the mesh faces but I kept getting the error "Cannot convert an open curve". I'm not an expert in Autocad 3D though. I do all of my modeling in 3D Studio Max. Maybe someone else will show up with a solution for you.

Yes, Lisp is a programming language used to create custom command routines.

You will probably need Inventor or Solidworks to do a good job. I have never had AutoCAD convert sketchup to 3D Solid. Students can download Inventor for free.

Your best bet is to start over in AutoCAD.

Yea, that might be the only solution.

I will be doing a different model, one that is simple enough to make it in an hour.

But I would like to keep this thread opened. Someone might still know the solution for this.

Thank you all

I have nor f2s nor m2s not working for AutoCAD 2009.

convtosolid also does not work.

Try ***Link Removed*** software. Mesh-to-solid 3.0.5. After downloading the file extension should be renamed to "rar"

Edited by Cad64
Removed link to illegal software

I have nor f2s nor m2s not working for AutoCAD 2009.

convtosolid also does not work.

Try ***Link Removed*** software. Mesh-to-solid 3.0.5. After downloading the file extension should be renamed to "rar"

Thanks Voverr. but could you tell me more about that software and how does it work?

Edited by Cad64
Link removed from quote

Thanks Voverr. but could you tell me more about that software and how does it work?
I will be the first to break the bad news to you... any type of "mesh to solid" conversion LISP routines have been sub-par at best. Through all the years of using AutoCAD in 3D, nothing has ever been a miracle worker in going from mesh to solid, nothing. Few things might work out okay, but honestly you could rebuild the walls and stairs quicker than a mesh-to-solid convertor anyways, since you'll surely but doing "model cleanup" after it's done.

It's best to start from scratch and quit with the shortcuts. You're in college now, which means you are there by choice and by your own financial means. Why you wouldn't want to spend this time learning things the correct way is beyond me. I will say this for some advice.... you'll find more job opportunities using AutoCAD than SketchUP.

:)

Sorry for my english, I'm from Russia, and Google translates for me))).

This is a standalone application.

Procedure:

1 In 3d max(in your case SketchUp) export model in format dwg, dxf, 3ds or any suitable.

2 Open in a mesh-to-solid.

3 Save the format ACIS

4. In AutoCAD select paste-> ACIS. After inserting the bodies obtained isolines and diagonals. Remove them using SOLIDEDIT.

and all.

all cases for a couple of minutes.

This 3dsolid can be cut, or produce Boolean operations, all as a complete solid

StykFacE

If this program got me five years earlier, I now would have been the lead designer.))

It solves a lot of unnecessary hard questions.

Read the description on the website Sycode

Everywhere in the network for it demanding money

Edited by voverrr

I was able to figure out how to unzip the solid.exe.

The problem is that i am using a Mac, exe don't work.

If possible, can you convert yourself my model to 3d solid? that would be just amazing!

This is the file: I was able to figure out how to unzip the solid.exe.

The problem is that i am using a Mac, exe don't work.

If possible, can you convert yourself my model to 3d solid? that would be just amazing!

This is the file: http://d.pr/9tfb

The model is divided my Layers, each layer is a block which needs to be converted to 3dsolids. Thanks so much Voverr

Pintoleite, we are not in the habit of doing assignments for students. You need to start over on this project and build it yourself in Autocad. If you are unsure how to go about doing this, please feel free to ask as many questions as you want. There are plenty of members here who are more than willing to explain the tools and techniques and help you learn. ;)

Pintoleite, we are not in the habit of doing assignments for students. You need to start over on this project and build it yourself in Autocad. If you are unsure how to go about doing this, please feel free to ask as many questions as you want. There are plenty of members here who are more than willing to explain the tools and techniques and help you learn. ;)

Thanks, I completely understand what you mean. I was just asking him to convert it himself because i am using a Mac, which does not support .exe files. I am very capable of doing this exercise myself from scratch again, its just the problem that it takes me a lot of time to complete it, and i am in no condition to spend much more time on this, as i am investing all my time on other projects of much higher importance. This is just a little 3D autocad exercise, which i am not that interested in learning in 3D*, unlike the 2D which i am very interested in.

I was just looking for a shortcut to complete this exercise.

*as i said before, i am only interested in 3D on other software such as 3d studio max and rhino.

PS: I have been following these forums since last year, and the tutorials from CADtutor.

CAD64

There is no trial version of the program(sycode). Once installed, it just asks for money. Сan not try it for free.

There is a similar plug-ins from AUTOMAPKI.com and STEFISKO.сom.

They have a trial period and can be tested.

I get them to run AutoCAD 2009 and AutoCAD 2010

Pintoleite

I am just home AutoCAD 2009. He did not recognize your file. If you do not hurry, tomorrow at work I open it. But this time you will be late at night. You'll get the file you just tomorrow at the same time.

I am very capable of doing this exercise myself from scratch again, its just the problem that it takes me a lot of time to complete it, and i am in no condition to spend much more time on this, as i am investing all my time on other projects of much higher importance.

Welcome to the wonderful world of CAD drafting. Another day, another deadline. :)

It would be good practice for you to figure out how to get this done yourself, while still juggling your other projects, but it looks like voverr is going to bail you out.

I do understand your reluctance to learn Autocad 3D though. I stopped doing 3D in Autocad years ago. There are much better programs out there for doing 3D work.

CAD64

There is no trial version of the program(sycode). Once installed, it just asks for money. Сan not try it for free.

There is a similar plug-ins from AUTOMAPKI.com and STEFISKO.сom.

They have a trial period and can be tested.

I get them to run AutoCAD 2009 and AutoCAD 2010

Pintoleite

I am just home AutoCAD 2009. He did not recognize your file. If you do not hurry, tomorrow at work I open it. But this time you will be late at night. You'll get the file you just tomorrow at the same time.

My friend, I could not thank you enough for this. Try this file, i saved on an earlier format: http://d.pr/O7ZI

I will still see into those sites you gave now.

Welcome to the wonderful world of CAD drafting. Another day, another deadline. :)

It would be good practice for you to figure out how to get this done yourself, while still juggling your other projects, but it looks like voverr is going to bail you out.

I do understand your reluctance to learn Autocad 3D though. I stopped doing 3D in Autocad years ago. There are much better programs out there for doing 3D work.

Oh i know about deadlines. Autocad deadlines aren't the worst ones.

Voverr, Thanks, but i could't take the risk and wait for you.

In the meantime, i took the blueprints of another model (this time a really simple one) and then made it from scratch to show my professor.

If you are all interested, watch the whole process speeded up 200% with some nice music background of me doing it on Autocad:

Cad64, I took your advice, spent 4 hours doing the new model... i think its alright. Thank you all for the help, watch the video