Problems printing/pdf'ing layouts

DoctorDrake

My issue is this: While trying to print or pdf a drawing in (lets say 8.5x11) layout view, the edges get cut off. It looks as though the template I copied is too large to be printed in full. If this were the case, wouldn't it be the same even if I tried printing in extents? It still does the same thing printing in extents. How do I fix this? ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

I am using Mechanical 2012.

Some printers have a default margin while others allow "full bleed" to the edges. And sometimes even the 'full bleed' won't cover to the edge of the paper!

What are the scale settings for the plot window in the layout? What is the x: and y: offset of the plot? Is it default, blank or manually entered values?

Check the dimensions of the border template. Obvious Man would say, "The border should be smaller than the paper onto which one is printing."

Going to attach screenshots of what I am trying to print, with the print window open and also a preview of that print. maybe that will help to explain my issue and give you guys a little more knowledge. I'm not the best at explaining these things :/

2.jpg

1.jpg

The dashed line designates the 'printing' area after the margins are applied to the paper. It looks as though your printer driver is applying the default minimum margin. The easiest fix may be just to modify the boarder to be inside the dashed line, instead of fighting with the printer. Shift your drawings closer to each other on the page to allow room for the border to get a little smaller.

You can always fight the printer settings to take out the default margins...accessed through the printer properties. I have had both sides of luck with various printers. Usually easier to squeeze your boarder to fit the printer's defualt that fight with the properties.

Will taking out the default margins on my printer effect the margins of excel documents and such? If not, I'd much prefer to change the printer settings instead of having to rescale the template my company uses. :(

Edited by DoctorDrake

No, changing the printer properties here will only effect the plotting here. The printer settings are available in 'Properties' next to select printer.

Why wasn't the title block and border designed to fit in the first place? You knew the paper size you were going to use and the printer it was going to be printed on.

I agree, ReMark!

Is there an IT or CAD standards department at the 'firm'? Surely this isn't the first time this border has been used!? Was the border created for a different printer/plotter?

Like Remark your sheet of paper is 8.5x11" your title must be about 1/4" inside this on all edges for a HP laser a couple of thou and it will not print.

Thank you bill. I'll see about changing these settings ASAP. Also, I'll see about asking the IT guy if he has any suggestions. No, this isn't the first time its been used and yes, I'm sure it was made for another printer/plotter.

ReMark: I didnt make the border and I'm sure when they made it, it wasnt for this little HP printer. I would think they made it for the big plotter we have. Though, I see your point, it only started doing this just recently. It worked for me previously as set up but now it cuts the edges off.