Mine Pit Volumes

cici2012

In Mining pits End o Month Surveys only a small portion of the survey changes in the following month. How can I remove points in an area in the previous month survey surface and easily replace points with the new month's survey.Some software's do this very easily in minutes. Does Civil 3D 2012 do that? After that how can I create the surface for the new month.

Draw a boundary around the new survey then delete the points within this area on the previous survey then add new points build new model compare to old model = volume. Need to keep track of surface models.

Thanks BIGAL for your reply. Let me ask another PIT POINTS QUESTION. (1)When you delete points, are the points still in the data base but out of the surface model points?

(2) To keep a previous month file, if you save a SURFACE AS (Another name) does it carry all model points with it? This is to find the possibility of keeping track of previous month files.

I am almost in love with Civil 3D. I have to get my boss into this.

Cheers

Its best to keep each version as a job this way if you make a mistake you can go back. Your right I wrote the answer a bit quick.

You basicly need to make the new area excavated points non contourable in CIV3d for the old area, this is a pain other software we have you can do it real easy.

I would create a new job by using original model delete points no longer relevant and add new survey points make a current model. Go back a version and either use XML or create 3d faces to bring the old surface in to new job you can then compare. Not sure no CIV3d now you may be able to compare two DWG surfaces directly.

You have to be a bit careful with CIV3D it remembers the edits carried out on the surface .