MAYHEM! Inventor 2013 is overusing RAM and freezing on every video rendering attempt!

numberOCD

I have Inventor 2013 Trial running on my system, and I am hitting a bad streak of lock-ups on the renderings. I have to computers (1 Desktop, 1 Laptop) with sufficient RAM and video cards each at 4Gb, and a more advanced Desktop with 6Gb. All have frozen in the renderings after 1 to 10 frames while they ran this rendering fine in Inventor 2012. Does anybody have a clue what can be causing this problem?

There's a reason that most companies don't upgrade the instant that the new version comes out ... and you're discovering it now. We've got access to 2013 through our subscription, but we're still using 2011. Might get 2012 within the next 90 days or so. Maybe.

I do agree on that. Unfortunately I am on a trial in an attempt to propose my employer purchasing the program. This does not promote the idea well. Not well at all.

How would I get the Trial of 2011?

(I already downloaded 2012 Trial in February and cannot find the embedded temp file to delete to reopen it)

Talk to your VAR about this. They're experienced in selling this product. You're probably not experienced enough yet with the software to make the most compelling case possible. If you really want to get your boss to cut the funding loose, talk to the VAR and try and get them in the door.

You cannot obtain a trial version of 2011.

What are the complete hardware specs for each computer? Personally I think 4GB and 6GB of RAM is not enough.

Both computers are 64-bit?

What is the drawing file size you are trying to render?

All computers being used are 64 bit windows 7 with video cards intended for drafting and all worked effectively with these files in Inventor 2012. The .iam I am trying to render is 341Kb, however it is of many components ranging from 60Kb to around 1Mb. It is of a warehouse with 2 to 14 operating track cranes.

I loaded an earlier file that was previously rendered, and when I attempted a new rendering in AVI (as opposed to WMV as I did before) the video began rendering well. So I now hate to wonder if the reflectivity and translucence of a blue glass guided arrow in the "mayhem" file is what is causing the issue. I have a single light source in this latter file but the arrow is high reflectivity and nearly transparent; would this be enough to cause the issue?

Also, I am using the program Pinnacle to merge my split videos after their separate renderings. Has anybody tried rendering the individual frames instead of video and merging those into a video previously with a critique of the benefit out of it?

Thanks!

The benefit of rendering single frames is that it allows you greater flexibility in post-processing. You don't need to do this, unless your stability issues are so great that you can't render more than one frame at a time.

Hmmm, well some posters are right here, your VAR can get you a trial copy of an earlier version. But it also depends on your VAR :)

Also, you downloaded just Inventor? Did you know you get Showcase and 3Ds Max (far better rendering engines than Inventor) with Inventor as the Product Design Suite? Use Inventor on its merits here and strengths, use Showcase and 3Ds Max for theirs. Your renders will always look better when done correctly in Showcase or 3Ds Max.

Now if you use us for your VAR...I can probably load this on one of my 2013 machines and give your rendering a go if you want.

Last note, WMV while widely acceptable, is garbage compared to AVI. Stick with AVI, you have better codec options and usually better output as well.