Only one design table

fuccaro

I play with design tables. I have a part -let's say for simplicity that's a cube- and I can link the length of the edge to a design table.

If I insert that part in an assembly and I make a Linear Component Pattern, I can link the number of instances and the spacing to another design table. If the spacing is the same as the length of the edge, I get nice aligned cubes -and that's what I wish! But I set the spacing in one table and the dimension in the other one, so I can have gaps between the cubes, or overlapping volumes.

In Catia I managed this kind of situations using variables, but in SolidWorks I can't add relations between part-level variables and assemblies.

So, to make the long story short: does anyone know how to change from one place the assembly AND the parts? It doesn't have to be with design tables, I tried with configurations and with variables as well, but I got no results so far :(

Im having a little trouble visualizing BUT it sounds like i would use Multi-body parts rather than an assembly. You can turn a multibody part into an assembly pretty easy and this would keep everything in that single design table. I think there is a way but you want to avoid making all these references between files if possible.

DriveWorksXpress might be another option for you.

Here is a list of all the presentations from this past Solidworks World.

http://www.solidworks.com/sww/proceedings/proceedings-presentations.htm

Look for Master Model for everyone Chris Castle. He talks about master modeling and how to save out bodies and so on.

Many thanks for your answer, sorry it took so long.

If I was not clear enough in my preious post: I try to make those cubes to stay nicely aligned, side by side. If the dimension changes (so the Part is changing), I must change the distance between the cubes too (meaning the assembly file). So I try to change from one place the assembly AND the part file.

I began to read about the DWX and it seems that I make good progress. The real situation is more complicated, in fact those "cubes" are ferite cores, and when I change them, I must change the case too, and other about 15 components.

Thanks again!

Fuccaro, you can control their spacing with linked variables and equations. You have the ability to as some iff statements inside the equations so based on the number of instances and their dimensions you can alter the spacing either inside the part or inside the assembly. You should also be able to do this with equations and mates inside the assembly. You may need a layout sketch to help control some of the mates and maybe use some reference mid planes.

• 3 weeks later...

Lot of thanks, slowly I make progresses.

I managed to control the part dimensions with assembly equations. No If functions, just global variables referring sketch dimensions, other part's sketch dimensions refer to those global variables... For the moment that's a nightmare for me, but I keep learning.

My next question: how can I change the part's configuration changing the assembly variables? I read that is possible, but I can’t achieve it.

fuccaro, are you asking how to just change the part config inside the assembly? Or something else? If you right click on the part in the feature tree you can go to document properties and select the config that way.

I try to change the configuration but not manualy. Something like: IF (that dimension is smaller than 10mm) THEN (activate this config) ELSE (activate that config)

In the mean time I found a walk-around, but I could return if the solution is simpler.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

I try to change the configuration but not manualy. Something like: IF (that dimension is smaller than 10mm) THEN (activate this config) ELSE (activate that config)

In the mean time I found a walk-around, but I could return if the solution is simpler.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

hmm, you can do this inside Excel but off hand im not sure how you could do that in SW. How are you changing that reference dimension?

That's a dimension of another part in the assembly, and it is linked to aglobal variable.

Right now I don't use configurations for that part; I change all the dimensions using the Equations folder at assembly level, under the"Equations-components". The only inconvenience is that it takes a lot of lines in the table, one for each dimension. That's why I try to put all the changes in a new configuration, and just activate it.

Probable today or tomorrow I will finish the model, but I try to learn new ways to use for my next projects.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a happy man!

I open the assembly document, I expand the "equations" and I change the values. I can change the ferrite cores (we use 2 sizes), the windings, the distance between them..., I rebuild the model and I got a whole new construction. All the parts are resized and I only need to adjust a little bit the drawings. I worked more than a week on my first project, now it takes less than a day.

Thanks again for all the help!

trafo2.png

trafo1.png

Congratulations fuccaro, looks like you are starting to make sense of Solidworks, after a lot of hard work. :)

I trust that your team is suitably impressed by your diligence, depth and commitment. :beer:

I trust that your team is suitably impressed by your diligence, depth and commitment.
Well, I work for a small firm and I am the only one doing mechanical CAD work. The others use to say: "Fuccaro just tells to Computer what to do and Computer does what a computer has to do".

Thank you for your comment!