Format Multi Lines With Different Layers

I was hoping some one could tell me if i am able to asign different layers to each line within a multi line.

Another Options is am i able to draw a Pline as two lines "Stacked" on top of each other in different layers? any ideas on a macro or something?

You can't assign layers to elements of a multiline, although you can assign linetypes and colors. The only way I see to accomplish something like that would be to create blocks, which can include layer information, and create a tool palette specially for them. Once you have created them and pasted them onto the tool palette you can specify in the properties for each block, that they be exploded on insertion, at which point they will be on their correct component layers, although you will have sacrificed the multiline functionality.

Are you familiar with the COPYTOLAYER command?

tool palette.JPG

The idea is for machining purposes a particular contour needs to be drawn on a specific layer. This layer represents the tool number and the depth of the cut. For thicker materials two contours are required. one "contour/layer name" as the first pass at half depth another at full depth. Currently i have to draw in one layer then trace over in the second layer. i do not think the use of a block will be appropriate as all parts have different shapes.

The thought behind the multi line was i give a second element a zero offset. As it seems i can not change the elements of a ML maybe someone knows if i am able to draw two Plines at once both with a different layer.

Using lisp to generate multi lines you can do what ever you want. The wall routine I have does 4 lines 4 layers as well as continous input like a pline.

Search here maybe multi line any of the lisps found could be simply changed to use multi layers. Also Offset has a layer option.

• 10 years later...

The command COPYTOLAYER works perfect! thanks,

bonus question: i'm trying to make a drawing with all entries of the quantity take-offs included as some kind of as build for invoices.

I have for example a line for pipes on layer pipes

The foundation for the pipes is the same line. 

he casing as wel.

I can use copytolayer, but is it possible to draw the same line on multiple layers?