Creating a #D solid from a block

mrjester

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I've spent a couple of days looking for an answer...

I am trying to cut out a logo from a 3D solid. Essentially the thing I'm trying to 'cut' is a box, simple. However, the logo I has is reasonably complicated and a conversion to DWG from an Illustrator file.

I have tried creating the whole thing as a surface, no luck

Tried exploding it into both lines, polylines and splines, no luck

The nearest I get is a long winded way round. Im having to joins the splines, then convert to polyline, then convert to surface, then thicken the surface. This would be ok, but there's lots of text and so on.

I just wondered if there's a simple way of doing it that I've missed? Such as "cut these 2D lines out of this 3D shape" command and then delete the sliced out pieces I don't want.

Sorry if that's all a bit vague, my brain is mush.

Sure.. The attached file has a logo I'd like to make into a 3D solid object. I think my problems lay in the converting it from an EPS file and the lines aren't joined properly (though I couldnt find a quick way of joining other than going piece by piece with the join command).

If you imagine the attached as if carved out of wood for instance, rather than extruded as surfaces through the Z axis and hollow (I need to subtract them from another 3D object to create a negative).

templogo.dwg

Thanks for the replies.

When you say redraw, you mean trace around the original? I got to the same thing, but I cant help thinking I went the complicated way around lol. I took the original 2D, then had to join all the splines, then convert to a polyline, then convert to surface, then thicken. It seemed to be the only way to get smooth curves. It could be that IS how you do it, but it just seemed a little long-winded.

I'd tried creating REGIONs inside the shapes, then converting to surface and thickening, and it kept saying it intersected itself. I suppose the whole thing could be a lesson in 'dont import EPS into DWG as the lines won't join up' haha.

Thanks for the tips samchums, but I don't have the original font to use in that way... as it's a brand, I can't use a 'similar' font (annoyingly). I was sent the logo by the client, and only as an EPS file, so the layout has to remain exactly the same.

Could you not request the original font from your client?

Once you've got your closed polylines (however generated) you should be able to "pushpull" that into your original solid.

dJE

Thanks Seant. I'd also done this on one attempt, but if you then turn those into surfaces and try to thicken them, it says it can't as object intersects itself (unless one can override that warning somehow as I'm only subtracting the whole thing from another object?).

Thanks for the pointer to using Exchange too, stupidly I didn't even consider searching there. doh.

. . . . turn those into surfaces and try to thicken them . . . .

Alternatively, the EXTRUDE command can be used. I was able to extrude the geometry posted in that Rebuild.dwg.

I'd tried that too.. the challenge for me was to then subtract the extrusions from the solid.

Attached is a 3d box amongst the extruded rebuild.dwg, imagine the box is a block of wood, and I want the extruded logo cut out of it... (I just tried to subtract it, and it said it could only subtract solid objects from other solid objects...)

Rebuild2.dwg