FONT and .cui problem

davidjb82

I gave it a go, and it does seem to work, Which is great.

My only question now, and I'm sorry if I'm being a pain, but how would I get this to work in every drawing automatically, instead of creating the ArialN style in every drawing I open?

I'll have to use this in a network, so my colleagues will need to use the text pull down menus too.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davidjb82

• ReMark

• JGA

• eldon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I looked it up on Wiki too last week, in case it could tell me any of the sizes, or maybe how to replicate it. Can't believe I've spent so long on a text! It's the clients money though, and their happy, then I guess it doesn't matter.

It needs to be part of the template file which will work for all new drawings. For all old drawings you would have to batch process them using a script file.

OK.

This is getting more complicated than I thought, just to shave a few mm off the text for the benefit of the client.

Running a script file would require all the drawings to be set up correctly at the start right? If not, then I guess it would work. Is there an easy way of doing it? Sorry, I'm not that savvy when it comes to going too in-depth, or doing things I haven't done before.

The reason my company has this job is because the other completely messed it up, and after 4 years, it's in a right state. :facepalm:

You would want your batch file to open each drawing, swap out the new style for the old style, do a zoom > all, save, the close the drawing. Then repeat the process until it has run through the entire directory of drawings. Sound right to you?

Throw in a -Purge and Audit for good measure while you're at it.

Yep, that sound good. -purge and audit is a very good idea actually.

I'll give it a go, then see tomorrow if it's done the job, and I'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

Thanks ReMark.

Good morning.

I have followed the advice given on here, and on my computer it all seems OK and working fine, but when I let another CAD tech load it up, he is still getting Arial rather than Arial Narrow. On top of that, I've had meetings over the last couple of days with the upper management considering us re-drawing everything using Revit. Sometimes, I wish people could make up there minds with how we are going to proceed. Would make life a lot less complex.

I just want to say thank you to to ReMark, eldon and JGA for trying to help me. It's much appreciated.

I had a surgeon once tell me, "Don't give me what I ask for; give me what I need." What does upper management need in your opinion?

A kick up the....

No. In all seriousness, We need to re-draw most, if not all the drawings, because the building, as it currently stands (in concept) just won't work. Our lead Architect is re-designing bit by bit, meaning hopefully the client will fold and allow us to do it.

Although Revit is good and it's the future etc, I feel that it's not the way forward on this project, due to comments I have heard regarding it's usage. I'm not Revit trained, so I can't make a comment on if it will work or not. I just know that we are in a rush, everyone can use CAD and only a handful of structural engineers can use Revit. I'd go with what we can do now, rather than spending hundreds on mutiple courses in the hope that Revit will work for a project like this.

Indeed I have. Unfortunately it's not necessarily the management from my company, it's also the client being very stuck in their ways and not wanting to listen to others, even if any ideas we have will save them months of work and money. Granted, they have taken on board some of ideas we have have, like changing cladding, making the mezzanine a slab etc, but it's the whole design process that everyone is pulling in different directions.

End of the day, it's the clients choice what we use, and how it should be done.

TBF, I can't really complain too much, because it is a job at the end of the day, and it pays the bills. I've gone through all this before with the same client, and I know how supremely awkward they can be.

It really is a rather long story, and I've probably bored the people reading this now...

What I should have said to answer you question is: "yes".

Change does not come fast nor does it come easy. I know what it is like to have to change a "cultural" that has been engrained over a period of time. Fight the good fight and when you get frustrated come back here and post a rant. We're listening.

I will do.

Until that time comes though, I'll be reading the rest of the forum and see if I can give my 2 cents worth to anyone that's in need.

Thanks again.

:beer: