Station Offset Label Question

surveyclay

I am using Civil 3D 2012. After creating station/offset labels on fixed points that refer to an alignment; I can change certain labels to other layers so that they turn on and off with the layer and match the color of that layer. This is convenient when you only want to see a particular layer. I'm now on a different drawing and want to do the same thing, but when I go to properties and change to a different layer, the label is unchanged. Is there a global label style that overides the setting?

Thanks,

Check the label style. I believe that, when you assign 0 to the label's layer, it will inherit the properties of the layer on which you put the label itself. On the other hand, if you assign some other layer, you have to change settings for that layer to affect the label. It sounds like the label is on layer 0 in the first drawing and on another in the second.

Thanks CyberAngel.....that solved part of my problem. Now I can shut off the linework by turning off the layer, but the labels stay on. I have other layers with labels that shut off when the layer is turned off. Just can't find what is different about this one!!!!

The labels are assigned properties different or independent of the linework. Check the settings used to set up the labels in C3D.

Thanks for your input, Bill! The way I create labels is by using the setting "0" and then highlighting the label > properties> then change to the same layer that the linework is on. The label changes to the color of the desired layer.

I have several other layers with labels matching the layer of the linework, and they all disappear when the layer is turned off.......except this one!! I have compared settings everyplace I know of, but they all appear the same. I'm at a loss!!

Thanks anyway!!

Eureka!! Found a way around the problem, albeit only a fix; it works! The labels that were not shutting off with the layer were changed to a different layer. When that layer was turned off; so were the labels. I then changed the labels back to the desired layer and Voila, they now turn off with the layer! Thanks for the help!!

Clayton

Clay,

Check the default settings in 'prospector' for the initial settings of the labels and linework. In there you should be able to direct the labels to the desired layers. I tend to stay away from layer 0...becomes a catch-all that clutters up with junk.