What is the Best way to make a 2D drawing into 3d? from AutoCAD to Inventor

paisis123

As the title suggests, that i basically am experimenting on ways to make 2d drawings of a part (all three views) that's an orthographic projection into a 3d part in Inventor.

I have tryed using the free 2d to 3d tool, but i feel its lacking a lot of options. (and on top of that AutoDESK Inventor is on the lowest of the list of programs i know well)

i have a drawing that i would like to share (Please give me credit for it if you plan to use it) and that if anyone can make it properly to 3d and explain how, i will forever grateful

Megalodon-Ortho.dwg

I'm kind of surprised this thread got no replies. Let's give it a *bump* and see what happens.

Have you made any further progress on your own?

well my work wants to quickly create parts or whole models of conveyor sections in inventor as its the program were switching to.

I want to figure out a way to make it quick and painless. Im not a good inventor user but im constantly playing around with the program to learn it as i go....

Im not a good inventor user but im constantly playing around with the program to learn it as i go....

You might start here

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

then go through the Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials

search Google for Rob Cohee Inventor YouTube

then http://au.autodesk.com

I would not fool with trying to get AutoCAD into Inventor as a beginner. You would be better off starting from scratch creating the geometry in Inventor and this would build your experience. I would wager that 90% of AutoCAD work is incorrectly done anyhow. Your drawing is certainly incorrect. Probably your best bet is to go ahead and dimension the AutoCAD drawing and then use it only as reference. The missing geometry will become apparent as you model the 3D part. Just like the guys out on the shop floor have to deal with this stuff.

BTW - you posted in the AutoCAD forum what is really an Inventor question.

Attempt the part you posted and then attach your ipt file here.

Edited by JD Mather

yeh im modeling it and its not coming out right. Im a COMPLETE newb in inventor, but a pretty experienced in AutoCAD

Well you want to forget everything you learned in AutoCAD as that only leads to frustration in Inventor. Don't straddle the line; jump into Inventor wholeheartedly.

yes. I shall Pretend that I never knew auto cad and start with a clean "mind" par say.

Though at least i have a goal in mind, the drawing that i posted in the begining of the thread is just a test file, once that is fully 3d, rendered, and printed then i can become adept at inventor, but until that happens, then i got some serious "studying".....which translates to alot of googling later....

Here is literally my first inventor drawing.

megalodon 1.ipt

Observe its crudeness.

Though i have a couple of questions.

Is there a way to extrude separate faces to make separate parts of the part?

Is there a way to keep the sketch shown as you extrude?

1. Click the New Solid icon in the Sketch dialog box.

2. Expand the feature in the browser and right click on the consumed sketch and select Visibility. It will now stay visible until you turn it off. You can use it for additional features (Share sketch).

I will try to post my quick example of your part later today.

1. Click the New Solid icon in the Sketch dialog box.

2. Expand the feature in the browser and right click on the consumed sketch and select Visibility. It will now stay visible until you turn it off. You can use it for additional features (Share sketch).

I will try to post my quick example of your part later today.

great thanks! i will try to make as much changes to improve on what i have.

Well you want to forget everything you learned in AutoCAD as that only leads to frustration in Inventor. Don't straddle the line; jump into Inventor wholeheartedly.

Never forget your roots, Autocad does have a place in Inventor and more so now that Autocad introduced constraint sketching back in 2010. :)