Project cut edges problem question

DRBJR45

HELLO

I have an elliptical sheet metal part. I need to create sections at given intervals. I need to project the geometry onto the intersecting planes. From what I know about inventor I need to use “project cutting edge”, this works except I cannot modify the new geometry once its created !! What am I doing wrong?

PROJECT CUT PROBLEM.pdf

Projected geometry can't be readily edited. If you need something different, project the cut edges as construction geometry and use them as guides to create the new shapes that you need with the normal sketch tools.

Thanks much!

Sad, I was wishing there was a way to break the link somehow between the created profile and the parent model......

Thanks much!

Sad, I was wishing there was a way to break the link somehow between the created profile and the parent model......

Been there as long as I can remember? (but personally I suspect you are going about the whole thing the hard way)

Break Link.png

RMB everything in Inventor (and SolidWorks).

Thanks much!

I didn't say you couldn't do it at all ... just that it's more work than it's worth. When you break the links and remove the constraints, you're more likely to also screw up all the fully formed geometry when you edit it. You're FAR better off to just leave it there as construction geometry and use it for guides.

thanks, and yes, as a inventor newbie, im sure im doing EVERYTHING the hard way......hence the questions!! haha

Been there as long as I can remember? (but personally I suspect you are going about the whole thing the hard way)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34228[/ATTACH]

RMB everything in Inventor (and SolidWorks).

Btw jd,

how would you generate usable geometry at each plane using "project cut edges...or should i be using some other command?

Im using inventor 2012...

been there as long as i can remember? (but personally i suspect you are going about the whole thing the hard way)

[attach=config]34228[/attach]

rmb everything in inventor (and solidworks).

Thanks bishop!!, so true......in this model there's other things going on inside the part that require the sections at certain heights.....for speed i created this in autocad and got my profiles then did a copy paste into inventor.....working so far.........perhaps when jd mather gets some time he can provide some useful info to educate me.....hope hope:)

i didn't say you couldn't do it at all ... Just that it's more work than it's worth. When you break the links and remove the constraints, you're more likely to also screw up all the fully formed geometry when you edit it. You're far better off to just leave it there as construction geometry and use it for guides.

I'll save you some time waiting:

1. Attach your part files here so that he can see them.

2. Make sure that the files attached have fully constrained sketches.

3. Don't import the stuff from ACAD, just create it new in Inventor.

If you have all this done and all ready for him to look at, you'll get better / quicker help from him.

.....for speed i created this in autocad ...

If you wasted time in AutoCAD thinking that would be faster - I won't be able to help.

sounds like a plan.....thanks for the input.

I'll save you some time waiting:

3. Don't import the stuff from ACAD, just create it new in Inventor.

If you have all this done and all ready for him to look at, you'll get better / quicker help from him.

Ok...i did not know if i could attach a file to a quote so i started a new thread....****project cut edges problem question with attached file****

ive done as asked, got my fingers crossed.....thanks

i'll save you some time waiting:

3. Don't import the stuff from acad, just create it new in inventor.