Project

CERVO

I'm taking classes at my local community college and the time has come for a project. My issue is that I'm highly unimaginative. I can draw fine and can meet the requirements:

• Must be drawn full scale and plot to scale
  • Must have a border and personalized school title block
  • “B” size drawing preferred (Contact instructor if you want to use another size)
  • Drafting Standards will apply to project drawing
  • Minimum of three (3) layers besides default (“0”)
  • Minimum of three (3) Colors besides default(White)
  • Minimum of three (3) Linetypes besides default (Continuous)
  • Must have assigned template to drawing project (ARCH, CIVIL, MECH template)
  • Minimum of two (2) orthographic views
  • Project must be dimensioned per Drafting Standards

Has to include a variety of dims(datum, arrowless, arrowless tabular), tolerances, parametric, attributes, dynamic blocks, x-ref, and sheet sets.

I can do all that's required, but has no idea what to draw and turn in. Any ideas?

Ideas? Yes, go to the library and find a book about technical drawing. It will be filled with hundreds of objects you can draw. Or, look around the room you are in right now and pick an object. You can't really be "that" unimaginative otherwise you never would have made it this far in your CAD class.

Suggestions.

A cell phone.

Skateboard.

Computer monitor.

A toy.

A tool.

Small cabin.

Stapler.

Speaker.

Lamp.

A piece of furniture like an end table.

Wheel and tire.

Sports equipment like a bicycle.

Edited by ReMark

To add to ReMark's list of things that may be nearby...

Computer CPU Tower

Big Gulp Cup (Starbuck's, In-and-Out Burger...)

Sandwich

Keys on a key ring

Wallet (with or without $$)

Keyboard

Mouse

Desk telephone

desk

chair

trash can

doorway

bookshelf

drawer

file cabinet

electrical outlet

window

pot - for an office plant! (with or without plant)

thermostat

Get the idea? Just described several things I can see from where I sit (without looking outside...oh! look! There's more stuff outside!! Why am I still inside? AH, WELL!)

Good luck...Hopefully we helped!

P.S. Just thought of a rubiks cube! How about that one?

You guys are good. I'm thinking of drawing multiple objects and inserting them as an X references, making a rubiks cube as a sheet set, then making it in 3D. No movement yet, I'm still a beginner

Good for ideas I meant.

What did you have in mind instead of the rubiks? I really want to do something more complicated, like an engine. The only thing stopping me is all my other classes. Something like an electric car engine maybe?

Forgot to mention, I've never taken a 3D class. I just use the internet for good things and a little trial and error.

Already started on the more simple objects, still debating on the harder objects.

While the Rubik's IS too simple, isn't an engine a little...I don't know...MUCH? Especially given time constraints and possibly limited experience.

I think we have several good ideas for 'middle of the road' objects. (e.g. a tool, a desktop telephone, etc.)

Do please post as you move along with the project. I have liked many of the rendered 'projects'.

Forgot to mention, I've never taken a 3D class. ..., still debating on the harder objects.

There are a number of step-by-step tutorials for slightly complicated designs in my signature. (but written for 2007 dashboard interface which was a bit different)

Creating the required 2D is rather trivial in 2012 (or better yet 2013 that students can download for free from http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity ) once you have 3D.

actually my first project in cad class was to draw a cardboard box.

We opened a box, and lay it out (how does a box look like when layed flat?)

then draw all the lines in AutoCAD with dimensions

Print out the box

Assemble the box based on the lines, and BAM you have replicated your first object into AutoCAD!