Joining Line and Arc with pEdit not working because of gap: snap together?

Hej,

I want to join a couple of lines with arcs. Unfortunately I have got a dxf created with CATIA.

When I try to join them with pedit it does not work.

If I move the end point of the circle away and snap it back to the line, I can join them.

Blending the Curves together is working (this shouldn't if the endpoints match, right?)

You can see it in this screenshot:

2012-04-18_2344.png

(On the left the circle and line are joined after I snapped them together, on the right they are connected using "Blend Curves" as you notice the tiny white connection)

So here it leads to my question:

Those lines seem not to be lying end to end together so I can join them.

Is there a function to snap them together or to automatically ignore/fill such a little gap?

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Have you tried the 'join' command? You can give a tolerance distance of separation. Not sure how well it will work with the arcs, though. If the line is not tangent...theoretically/mathematically speaking...it does not intersect.

Good luck!

Welcome to the family. I should think that PEDIT would handle this, if you enter M for MULTIPLE, instead of just hitting enter. Select the JOIN option and set a somewhat forgiving FUZZ factor. Barring that, you could run the FLATTEN command on them before using PEDIT.

Edited by Dadgad

The trouble here, as I understand it, is that AutoCAD treats the endpoints of arcs differently than the endpoints of lines. When it calculates points for the purpose of joining them, a coordinate can be off in the last decimal place, and that means they aren't touching.

The same thing happens to me all the time. I draw hatching borders around the paved area of parking lots, so there are plenty of corners. The only way I know to get around this is your solution--snap the arc end to the line end. It's just one more way AutoCAD makes your job harder instead of easier.

Another work-around, especially for those pesky hatch boundaries, that has worked for me is BPOLY, which generates a closed polyline boundary. Again, there is a gap tolerance one can give, and the original has to be 'close enough' to being closed. If used for hatching, once created, one can select the closed boundary, if the hatch is still having a problem finding its own boundary.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

With Dadgad's tip I joined them now using FLATTEN and PEDIT with a quite large FUZZ. I sometimes had to use FLATTEN again when not everything of the Lines would be joined together and noticed that there was a gap forming and growing in between the cycles...

Here is an example after 1x FLATTENing:

6iBAA.png

You can find a snippet out of the File here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3534006/forumtest.dxf

I don't quite get the purpose and functioning purpose FLATTEN command. How can you flatten something that is already 2D?! (Since I'm coming from CATIA where we got a distinct diffrence between two and thee D.

Thanks for your input so far!

correct me if im wrong. . . but check the start and end of the object with thecorresponding odject to be joined. . . if they are in the same elevation. . . "Z" values.