Export georegistered images from AutocadMap3d to Mapinfo

James1

I'm trying to export images (bitmaps) that are registered in a cad drawing as individual images to import into Mapinfo. I've tried the MAPEXPORT command but after selecting the objects to export and exporting it comes up as 0 objects selected and 0 exported...

Help please!

A .BPW is the worldfile associated to a .BMP raster.

So open that .BMP in a graphic converter like Irfanview, save it as .TIF, and close all.

Finally rename the .BPW file to .TFW one, to get a pair TIF+TFW readable by Mapinfo.

smile.gif

Well, a pair TIF+TFW is not a "true" Geotiff (because there is no projection info) but if you open that "humble" .TIF in a Gis viewer, you'll see how the mouse coords are changing in real time, according to the .TFW content.

Here's an example about what I'm talking: http://novara.orangespace.pl/cadtutor/tiffgeo/geotiff_vs_tif&tfw.zip

Download and run the wonderful free Lizardtech Geoviewer, setup the Options => Georeferencing preferences like this:

setup_geoviewer.gif

Now File => Add layer => Local layer and load the "poor" POLAND.TIF: as you can see, only regional coords are changing in lower left corner.

Unload all, and load the "rich" POLAND_GEO.TIF: now you see how regional AND lat/long coords change in realtime, since a Geotiff "knows" where itself lies on the Earth.

Edited by Emigrato

Thanks mate. But whats a .bpw file? Mapinfo won't read it...

James,Not sure what version of Mapinfo you're running, and I'm not too sure about what new tools are available in the latest greatest version, but WorldReg by DataDirections is a freeware Mapbasic tool (MBX) that will geo reference various raster files for Mapinfo, similar to what GeoRefImg does for AutoCad. And like GeoRefImg, WorldReg looks for the associated "world file" for a given image (e.g. tfw for .tif, syd for .sid 'MrSid') etc. you will have to specify what projection you require via the WorldReg dialog. WorldReg is or was available from Directions Magazine's tools resources, or just Google it.

HTH

Dave