Add cogo points to point group

mcjohn

Hi, I'm using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 (note to moderator, please don't move this to the other forum because no one ever posts there!).

I had a layer of AutoCAD points (not cogo) that I converted to cogo points and then placed some points in one layer and the rest in another. After creating a point group how I can add selected points to this group, either by layer or by selecting them? When I go into point group properties - include tab - selection set in drawing and highlight that one layer, it fills in point e.g. #1-100 which includes points from the other layer as well instead of just e.g. points #1,4,10, etc. from the desired layer.

Thanks!

I have full respect for this site and all the work you and others do and I'd like to make a suggestion - the last 25 posts on the Civil 3D forum are over a span of 6 weeks (and buried in a sub forum of Vertical Products) vs. the last 25 posts on the beginner AutoCAD forum since this week. AutoCAD Civil 3D is becoming fairly mainstream and isn't immensely different than just AutoCAD, and I don't see a reason for having two separate forums when there is such disparity between the activity on them.

AutoCAD Civil 3D is becoming fairly mainstream and isn't immensely different than just AutoCAD, and I don't see a reason for having two separate forums when there is such disparity between the activity on them.

You obviously haven't used Civil 3D very much... :)

It's VERY different from core AutoCAD, although it's built upon it. Civil 3D has nested Styles within Styles, and there are many different way to configure them. From the details you've posted, there's no way to determine what problem you're having, without playing the old game of "20 questions". You'll probably get better advice if you can post a sample drawing that illustrates your problem.

If you're disappointed with the C3D activity in this forum, then you may want to try the default Autodesk C3D forums, where lots of C3D experts hang out, and often respond to questions within hours of your post. This forum also includes the occasional response from Autodesk personnel themselves. There's also The Swamp, where there's more C3D activity than you see here.

Hi Sinc,

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I have used Civil 3D for 2 years. To clarify, if a csv file is imported into AutoCAD Civil 3D (and no point group is initially chosen) how can only some of those cogo points be added to a new point group? When I highlight only a selected portion of the cogo points to add to a new point group all of them from the csv file end up being forced into the point group. Any obvious work a round to this is not acceptable for what I am doing as this needs to occur multiple times when I decide to move points between two layers and thus two point groups.

For example, 10 points are inserted from a csv file and 5 (by highlighting them) put into 1 layer and 5 (by highlighting them) into a second layer. I want to put the first 5 into one point group (problem) and the other 5 into another (problem), but then I may want to move one point between layers (no problem) and thus point group (problem again).

Thanks for any help.

In my opinion, here's the simplest way to accomplish it:

1] with _CREATEPOINTS you import all the .CSV points in your drawing

2] with _CREATEPOINTGROUP you create all your needed empty point groups

3] enter the first empty point group, and assort into it the selected points by "include"

4] do the same for the other point groups

assort-points.gif

Have you used Description Keys? Once you define those, you can select them on the "Raw Desc Matching" tab, and pre-create Point Groups in your drawing template that include points with various descriptions. The Description Key will also put the Cogo Point on an appropriate layer and apply appropriate Point and Point Label styles, based on the raw description.

When importing points, this often works better for creating Point Groups than using point numbers, because for most people, the same data doesn't use the same point numbers from job to job. But if you code points with the right raw descriptions, you can use Description Keys to throw them to the right layers/styles/PointGroups.