Dimension scale model view to paper view

davefromfife

When I have placed dimensions in model space with a text height of 2.5 now do I get them to a readable size in paper space

Your dimensions will have to be annotative as Marek pointed out. The annotative scale that you assign to your dimensions will have to correspond to the scale of your paper space viewport. Do you understand this concept?

• 1 month later...

Hi! i just register this forum, i also has this problem,

if i have paper view A (Scale 1:100), B(Scale 1:50), C(Scale 1:60), can help me do a example for me(see attachment dwg) ?

To Setting Annotation scale in Text, Dimension.

10s a lot

A1-A3 SETTING.dwg

leon:

I would recommend that you create a layer called Viewports and set it to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager rather than using the Defpoints layer (which is "old school").

By the way, the object that is back in model space roughly measures 69701 x 55123. This appears to be way larger than the sheet size you are using. I don't think the scales you have chosen are going to work.

One other thing I noticed. I'm assuming you want to work in metric units but it appears that you have used a template that is based on imperial units. I base this on the list of available scales which includes imperial engineering and architectural scales. It is never a good idea to mix units like that. You need to be utilizing a metric template such as acadiso.tmp or one of the other metric templates provided by AutoCAD which gives you access to metric scales.

Edited by ReMark

Dear sir,

I just amend this dwg. can you help me..'same drawing just update'

leon:

I would recommend that you create a layer called Viewports and set it to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager rather than using the Defpoints layer (which is "old school").

A1-A3 SETTING.dwg

Dear sir,

Use Command 'Limits' can check 'the object that is back in model space roughly measures 69701 x 55123' this ?

I want to known more Autocad setting above the 'drawing setting'.

i just join the company, before this company not drafting department

and not person can teach me about the autocad setting...

The object I referred to is a rectangle and I used the DISTANCE command to measure it.

"Drawing setting"? I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry.

What kind of company do you work for?

What types of drawings will you be creating?

Will they be 2D or 3D or a combination of both?

Will you be working only in metric units and utilizing standard metric paper sizes?

leon:

A couple of suggestions. Stop overriding your layer color. For example, you have a layer called "Object" and the assigned color is "white". Yet, you have two entities in model space that are on that layer but you changed their color to yellow. This is not a good practice to get into and can lead to problems down the road as your drawing gets more complex. The other suggestion is to not assign the same color to all or most of your layers. Colors help us to distinguish what is going on in a drawing more easily. Black and white work well when we print or plot a drawing but when working on a drawing color should be used to the fullest extent.

You have three layouts. In two of the layouts (B & C) your title block and border are on a completely different layer than in layout A. I'm assuming that layer "TB" stands for title block. Is that correct? Shouldn't the title block and border in layouts B & C be on layer TB as well?

I previously suggested you create a separate layer for your viewports and that the layer be set to "no print' in the Layer Properties Manager but I don't see that layer listed. Why did you chose to ignore that advice? OK...I see that your viewports are on the Defpoints layer and you have VP Freeze enabled. Objects placed on the Defpoints layer do not plot to begin with. This layer is created automatically by AutoCAD when dimensioning is used. Did you know that?

What purpose do the two circles (bottom left corner and upper right corner) serve in all three layouts?

Edited by ReMark

When I have placed dimensions in model space with a text height of 2.5 now do I get them to a readable size in paper space

Oops, I didn't read the post correctly.

I would set your dim style to annotative and let the program handle it. Edit your style100 text style with a text height of Zero, then set the text height in the dim style manager.

With ANNOAUTOSCALE on, see icon in lower left to automatically add annotative scales, you can select the dimswhile in model space layout, change the annotative scale and the annotative scales will be added to the dims.

Edited by rkent
misread question

i working at sub-contractor company, more of the drawing coming from other company... more are drawing are 2D plan only...

i just change the more typical floor plan, title block...

as like consultant give me the 1st sty floor plan (scale 1:200(A1 Paper size),

this drawing need to change the (A3 Paper size (scale 1:50)...need create many layout (A1 Paper & A3 Paper size), in autocad. i just working only in metric units.

The object I referred to is a rectangle and I used the DISTANCE command to measure it.

"Drawing setting"? I'm not sure what you mean. Sorry.

What kind of company do you work for?

What types of drawings will you be creating?

Will they be 2D or 3D or a combination of both?

Will you be working only in metric units and utilizing standard metric paper sizes?

Sir,

r u here?

leon:

A couple of suggestions. Stop overriding your layer color. For example, you have a layer called "Object" and the assigned color is "white". Yet, you have two